PDA

View Full Version : Slow USB 2.0 HD? Running at 1.1



ShadeZeRO
09-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Hello, I'm a new user to Knoppix Live.

Right now, my NTFS drive is messed up beyound chkdsk /r ...I tried it, it 'supposidly' fixed everything, but i still get a ntfs.sys error...

Anyways, I have loaded Knoppix, and am in the procoess of backing everything up to a Fat32 80GB External USB 2.0 HD (its by western digital)...I was copying about 20GB of stuff over..and for some reason, it is going extremly slow. Peak was about 1.3MB/ps...

I know this is not the speed that USB2.0 HD's go at...I was wondering Do i have to do anything special to get the 'fullspeed' ??

OErjan
09-24-2005, 07:39 PM
hmm, perhaps knoppix have given you the wrong USB driver.
the usb 1 and 1.1 that is thew modules begining with uhci or ohci.
check with the comand below (in a comand prompt, console, xterm...)

sudo lsmod
if you do NOT see ehci there you could try activating it with

sudo modprobe ehci
hope this works for you. if not post back.
EDIT in some odd circumstances you might have to unmount the drive (rightclick and choose umount) and remove it wait a few seconds atach it again, then mount the drive again. /EDIT

hope this works for you. if not post back.

ShadeZeRO
09-24-2005, 08:37 PM
umm, looks like its there...


ohci_hcd 21896 0
uhci_hcd 31376 0
ehci_hcd 31752 0
usbcore 101496 7 usbhid,usb_storage,ub,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd


Everytime I mount it, I have to do sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/uba1 /mnt/uba1

it still runs slow...

ShadeZeRO
09-24-2005, 10:31 PM
I checked in my bios, it seems my USB ports were set to 'fullspeed' which is 12mbps, i put it on high at 480mpbs, I will try now to see...Also I heard that rmmod ohci_hcd helps.

--

hmm, neither one helps...it says under cat /proc/bus/usb/devices that its connected at Spd=480..but its still giving me 12m speed...