View Full Version : How do I change window managers on boot up?
pgluth1
10-06-2005, 05:25 AM
Specifically, I would like to give ratpoison a try. Is there something I could type in at boot to load it?
tdjokic
10-06-2005, 06:04 AM
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes
desktop=fluxbox|icewm|kde|larswm|twm|wmaker|xfce
Use specified WM instead of KDE
pgluth1
10-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Thank you for your prompt response. Many of the sites that list window managers along with knoppix rattle off the biggies - fluxbox, ice, and blackbox but usually don't include ratpoison. In my ignorance, I only recently learned that ratpoison was even part of the package.
1. In short, ratpoison may not be everyone's cup of tea. It is a window manager designed to be used without a mouse (hence the name). It is tough for me to get used to it, but I do recommend everyone give it a try.
2. In the same vein, I didn't know enlightenment 16 was also part of the package - a very sleek presentation indeed. (though, I believe e 17 is out in beta. I have tried the elive! cd which includes both 16 and 17 and am impressed by its elegance. Everyone who walks by my computer wants to know what it is.)
3. And using your suggestion, tried desktop=fluxbox. Love it. Fluxbox will be my default until I get more practice with enlightenment.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.