View Full Version : Windows 95 After knoppix
morbidpalooza
10-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Can you install windows 95 after you have installed knoppix I just do not want to overwright lilo
UnderScore
10-10-2005, 10:20 PM
I just do not want to overwright lilo
I do not know of a way to install Windows 95/98 without losing lilo. It will overwrite the MBR and you will lose lilo. You can however use knoppix to restore lilo to the MBR.
rwcitek
10-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Can you install windows 95 after you have installed knoppix I just do not want to overwright lilo
The rule of thumb is install Windows, then Linux. You can do it the other way around, but it's a lot more work.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
morbidpalooza
10-11-2005, 01:02 AM
I just do not want to overwright lilo
I do not know of a way to install Windows 95/98 without losing lilo. It will overwrite the MBR and you will lose lilo. You can however use knoppix to restore lilo to the MBR.
how do I do that i lost lilo lolol
OErjan
10-11-2005, 04:04 PM
for a quick recovery.
boot knoppix from Cd.
open a console and issue these comands.
#mount the / poartition of Linux read write (let us call it /dev/hda1 and ext3 filesystem)
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
#now to chroot into your /
chroot /mnt/hda1#erything is now done to your hd
#edit or make sure /etc/fstab is corect as to what filesystem is where and how many partitions you have...
fdisk -l #fdisk -l lists partitions and filesystems
cat /etc/fstab #cat /etc/fstab outputs fstab to screen. the two above sould match 100% as to what filesystem is where, number of partitions... otherwise edit (mcedit /etc/fstab, save with F2 and exit with F10)
#check that windows is entered in /etc/lilo.conf, and on corect partitition...
cat /etc/lilo.conf
#if not edit (mcedit /etc/lilo.conf, save with F2 and exit with F10)
#now it is time to mount everything with your linux fstab.
mount -a
#now we can restore lilo to mbr.
/sbin/lilo
#if everything went well we can now
#sync the disks (everything written to disk)
#unmount
#clear the screen
#disengage / form /mnt/hda.
sync&&umount -a&&clear&&exit
this is as much step by step i can manage without more to go on
morbidpalooza
10-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Thank you worked great!
OErjan
10-11-2005, 06:47 PM
you are welcome to what little I could help you with.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.