PDA

View Full Version : Problems with chroot



MoDri
10-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Hello!

I tried to remaster Knoppix as described here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

I have a problem with point 13:
Now you can "chroot" into the copied KNOPPIX: chroot /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX

[root@noname sda6]# chroot /mnt/sda6/knx/source/KNOPPIX
chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

What's wrong??

Thanks for your answers!

markpreston
10-25-2005, 09:13 PM
At a guess you need a space between /mnt/sda6 and /knx/source/KNOPPIX
i.e.
chroot /mnt/sda6 /knx/source/KNOPPIX
Regards,
Mark

MoDri
10-26-2005, 08:13 AM
the problem is solved

Broerz
11-03-2005, 04:34 PM
I have the same problem. Could anyone help me out?

root@0[hda4] # chroot /mnt/hda4 /knx/source/KNOPPIX
chroot: cannot run command `/knx/source/KNOPPIX': Permission denied

How can I solve this problem?

firnsy
11-04-2005, 06:33 AM
I have the same problem. Could anyone help me out?

root@0[hda4] # chroot /mnt/hda4 /knx/source/KNOPPIX
chroot: cannot run command `/knx/source/KNOPPIX': Permission denied

How can I solve this problem?

I could be totally wrong, but that requirement for a space is not right?? Or at least to me does not make sense, granted I don't have a *nix terminal at hand to test it out.

If you run "chroot /mnt/hda4/knx/source/KNOPPIX" that should place you in the chrooted environment, by default the chroot command will run /bin/bash relative to the chroot path, that is for the command to be successful the file /mnt/hda4/knx/source/KNOPPIX/bin/bash must be present.

mcreel
11-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Hello!

I tried to remaster Knoppix as described here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

I have a problem with point 13:
Now you can "chroot" into the copied KNOPPIX: chroot /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX

[root@noname sda6]# chroot /mnt/sda6/knx/source/KNOPPIX
chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

What's wrong??

Thanks for your answers!

First, you _don't_ need the space mentioned above - the way you have it typed above is correct. It looks to me like you don't have the KPX source copied correctly. In your usual environment, can you find the file /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/bin/bash ? The message above suggests that it does not exist, which would mean some problem occured when you were copying the source.

(edit)
Ah, sorry, I just noticed that the problem is solved. IIABDFI

markpreston
11-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Hi all,
It seems that my guess about a space being missed out was wrong and I apologise for this. Thanks to mcreel and firnsy for pointing this out.
It might have been helpful to others, including me, if MoDri could have taken the time to explain how he solved his problem rather than just write
"the problem is solved" which, in the context of the single reply he received to his original posting, could easily be construed to mean the space was required.
Regards,
Mark

mazza76
11-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi, I'm having the same issue and have tried the suggestions mentioned above, unfortnately i get the same error messages. I'm working via a HD install of knoppix 4 (via DVD) but am trying to remaster a CD version of it. I have successfully managed to remaster Knoppix 3 versions in the past, so I'm a bit stumped as to my problems now. I was wondering if there was an issue with the KNOPPIX executable, but I'm not convinced by that as I can run KNOPPIX just fine from the CD.

Thanks in advance

mazza76
11-09-2005, 01:39 PM
I think my issue is caused by the fact that I was trying to copy files when it wasn't uncompressed. I will update the post when I am sure.

mazza76
11-10-2005, 09:57 AM
yep, feel a bit silly now. Basically the instructions on the site assume that you have booted from the live cd. When i have been building new customisations in the past, i had been working on an already expanded Knoppix file structure - and i forgot!