PDA

View Full Version : umount memory stick



Ming
11-02-2005, 07:48 AM
Question from a new user. I plug in my memory stick and it recognise it with no problem. I view folder to make sure the contents is corrent. I right click device and select umount. System tells me that umount: /mnt/sda device is busy. Please check the disk is entered correctly. I unplug memory stick and try umount again but same error message persist. It can still see the folders. I then plug in another memory stick but the system still sees the initial device.

OErjan
11-02-2005, 06:25 PM
what the system tells you is that you have something that accesses that pen (you watching the folders).
you HAVE to unmount the disk before unpluging it. if you do NOT it may corupt the filesystem and you may loose data.
if you _before closing konqueror (the thing you wiew your folders in)_ go to say /home you will most likely not get this error message.

Ming
11-03-2005, 03:46 AM
Ok, I didn't realise that. I tried the same when another folder was highlighted. There is no message this time, but I can still see the device /mnt/sda, the folder and can still read the files.

If I umount and then right click again without left click first I can see the umount becomes mount. So, presumable it has done its job, but the fact the device is still listed and the potential of corrupting the files it does give me a lot of confidence.

OErjan
11-03-2005, 07:37 PM
if you feel uncertain open a console and type mount then you see if it is listed or not,
no need to open a window.