PDA

View Full Version : Having to apt-get every reboot?



Smoothie
03-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Good day everyone,

Knoppix looks like it'll be a great LiveCD, and I've downloaded the CD version today. One question before I begin though.

One of the applications I require is Kopete. This is not included on the CD, so I guess I need to apt-get it in, which (I'm informed) will install it to memory. Now, I really don't fancy having to apt-get this every time I reboot my computer.

Is there any way around this? I can't install to the HDD, but I heard that it is possible to use my USB flashdrive to store the changes I make. Is this the case, and if so, is it a fairly easy process? I've looked around FAQ's and the documentation, but I'm afraid I haven't come across anything that has answered my question yet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
-Smoothie

nad
03-20-2006, 01:39 AM
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Using_FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_use_an_USB_memory_stick_to_s ave_myconfiguration.3F

Smoothie
03-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Thank you very much, and apologies for not finding this myself.

I've been giving Knoppix some thorough testing over the past few days, and it's simply incredible. I've never used Linux before, but this has blown me away. I think I might try Debian or one of its HDD derivatives next!