PDA

View Full Version : Ejecting a Knoppix Live CD



lovethepirk
03-23-2006, 06:01 AM
Thanks for your help....

I am a volunteer on several Malware removal forums and I am trying to test out how I would go about getting data off of a non-bootable windooze xp.

I have downloaded and burnt the latest knoppix and loaded it on my emachines amd laptop. It runs excellent but I cannot eject the CD so I can put another in there to burn the data.

Is this possible after I have loaded K3b?
If so I have already tried umount /dev/cdrom and umount /mnt/cdrom.
I guess the easiest way to do this might be using a usb but I would like to see if it is possible to do this using a cd-r

Thanks,

LTP

Harry Kuhman
03-23-2006, 06:13 AM
See answer #5 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

lovethepirk
03-23-2006, 07:12 AM
If you have 1 gig of memory you can use the toram "cheat code" so that you will not need to keep the CD in the drive if you only have one CD drive.

That was a bit confusing for me.

If there is an easy way to explain it or a link to read more I would be grateful.

Regards,


LTP

lovethepirk
03-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Researched a bit more and found that you need to type 'knoppix toram' at the command prompt to store the live cd into the ram.

Then do you need to use the command line to eject the cd?

If so what would the syntax be?

LTP

Harry Kuhman
03-23-2006, 07:28 AM
No. I don't think you'll need any command. I don't have enough memory for the toram option with Knoppix on any of my systems, but have used it with the 50 meg DSL CD just fine. One can just tap the button on the CD drive after booting and remove the CD; it is not used at that point and does not need unmounted or anything like that.

By the way, if you don't have enough memory to use toram with Knoppix you can use a smaller distro like DSL. And I've even written a copy of DSL to the first 50 megs of a multi-session CD and then used the bruning software in DSL to write additional files to the remaining 650 megs of CD, without doing the toram at all.

Harry Kuhman
03-23-2006, 07:33 AM
By the way, if the resque faq was confusing but you now understand it, you might consider improving that part of the wiki to make it clear. Sometimes one person does get a bit technical and thinks others will follow it, but another person who was confused may be able to make the article a lot more useful to the next guy. The wiki is a community effort.

lovethepirk
03-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks for you time... I will go back tomorrow afternoon and modify the wiki a bit :)

Nice response times :thumbsup:

lovethepirk
03-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Harry,

I modified it, thanks...

LTP

Harry Kuhman
03-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Harry,

I modified it, thanks...

LTP
Actually I just saw the modification and I think you have it wrong. I don't believe that this can be done at a shell prompt as you say, it should be done at the boot prompt. I'll update it and include a link to the section on cheat codes.

lovethepirk
03-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Woops am I an idiot LOL, sorry. I will try it later to see which way is correct but I am sure I was wrong.

LTP

lovethepirk
03-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Yep the code is "knoppix toram" at the boot prompt.


You can close this baby now.


Much love,

Forums where I work :)
http://thatcomputerguy.us
http://www.geekstogo.com

LTP