View Full Version : qtparted: create unavailable
pagheca
03-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to repartition the NTFS (XP sp2) original primary partition of a 100 GB HDD on board of a dell inspiron 9400 using QTparted.
I selected the largest NTFS partition (the system comes with a few orther partition for recovery and some other features).
I reparted it in two parts: 60 GB + 30 GB. However, when I select the new 30 GB partition only the "property" option is available. The others are in grey and can't be selected. I commit it but I can't yet "create" the partion.
Any idea?
Cheers,
p
Harry Kuhman
03-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Define few.
spottyrover
04-03-2006, 11:04 AM
I do not know if this helps but I have noticed qtparted strugles when you have to many things do
so comit changes as you go
I also found that it does not like reiser fs
if you give some more info we might be able to help more
good luck
Capt. Cautious
04-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Good Day Pagheca,
Welcome to the forums. Hope that they are helpful and that like us you find other good information and ideas to pass on.
I did a ntfs resize using the Knoppix disk and the fdisk cmd with both a standard IDE ( under SP1 ) and a 64 bit SATA drive (uder SP2). On the former fdisk ran very smoothly and gave me no problems. Having said that, I couldn't reduce the partition sise for Win XP Pro to less than 57 GB. On the 64bit ( BTW all CPU's are AMD Athelons 2400 & 2600) I got winblow$into a little bitty 24 GB box ( & it still runs ).
The problem I had was with the linux partitions I created on the other 120GB of the drives in ext2fs. none of them were usable. I am told that the SATA format is the problem. So using the trusty old cfdisk I redid the partitions. All was visible but SuSE 9.2 would not see the partitions so I could not install. So you might consider using fdisk/cfdisk or one of it's variants instead of qParted if this is an ide drive. I hope that this suggestion may be of value to you.
I Remain ~ In Service & In Health,
Captain Cautious[/quote]
Harry Kuhman
04-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Apparently pagheca doesn't want to have a dialog, but doesn't seem to understand partitioning either.
I selected the largest NTFS partition (the system comes with a few orther partition for recovery and some other features)....I reparted it in two parts: 60 GB + 30 GB.....
pagheca used the word few above, which to me means more than two, or at least three, and he used this in addition to the NTFS partition, meaning he has 4 physical partitions on the disk already as far as I can tell (and not getting any feedback from him).
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.