PDA

View Full Version : New to Knoppix



FenixSS
06-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Hi, I was directed here by a friend. Recently my start up has failed and it has the following error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrpt
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I've tried using the various repair methods suggested to me from various sources and websites, but I've been unsuccessful. I'm desperate and need to recover at the very least documents for work and ALL my MP3s, all of which are in the My Documents folder of my profile.

I've created a Knoppix CD version 5 that has successfully loaded, but as I am unfamilar with it's layout, could someone direct me as to how I may retrieve my files from Windows for backup, so that I can erase my HD and start over with a new install? I have many blank CDs as well as a 250GB external drive that connects via USB 2.0 Please any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Harry Kuhman
06-12-2006, 08:50 AM
See answer #5 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

FenixSS
06-12-2006, 09:15 AM
It seems that Knoppix isn't detecting my HD, only my external HD. It's listing the external drive as Hard Drive 1. I'm using a pair of Western Digital Raptors 150GB each in a Raid 0 configuration. How do I detect my HD so that I may click and drag what I need to my external drive?

Harry Kuhman
06-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Good question, I don't have an answer. I never saw good results in the past with raid systems which need special drivers. But this version of Knoppix supposedly includes Raid drivers. I don't have any details on that though and it looks like it either doesn't have the raid drivers that you need or isn't detecting the raid system. Maybe there is some way at boot time you can tell it about the raid system, but maybe you are out of luck.

FenixSS
06-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Anyone, kinda my last chance cry for help before I bite the bullet and erase everything...

rcook
06-14-2006, 02:33 PM
I would suggest you surf the web for articles or b-logs on recovering/configuring Raid systems in Linux. I believe there was an article in Linux Journal in the last couple of months.

I am fairly sure I read it there.

Dick

rcook
06-14-2006, 02:37 PM
You may end up back here after locating the article to deal with the idiosyncracies of using Knoppix, i.e. permissions for root, etc.

I did the surfing. It was the june issue of Linux Journal.

FenixSS
06-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Thank you rcook, I've replied to your PM