PDA

View Full Version : Boot stalls at X Window load



zube
11-14-2006, 07:49 AM
When I boot, I go through the entire routine, my partitions work, I have sufficient ram, all of my hardware is detected and config'ed, and when I get to the "Starting the X Window System" message, my monitor goes to sleep, and the whole system locks up. The CD ROM device appears to keep running, but I can not get anything to appear on the screen. I have tried several different mirrors for download, and md5 checksum ties. I am running an HP Pavillion w/ a 900 MHz Celeron Processor, 256M of RAM, and I have a KDS 14" monitor. I saw one bug listed for this (#17), but saw no workaround or recommendation. I need Knoppix for an online class I am taking, but have gotten no help on that end. Can someone give any insight?

Harry Kuhman
11-14-2006, 08:36 AM
A 14" monitor? Sounds like Knoppix is working fine, but that old monitor isn't supporting the display resolution it's defaulting to, and the monitor is likely so old that it doesn't have plug and play capability to inform Knoppix of the resolutions that it is capable of. You might want to look up the cheat codes for resolution and try a low resolution and a scan rate within that monitor's range. I suggest that you get the model number and look up what the relic is capable of. I also suggest trying a different monitor.