View Full Version : Knoppix versus Standard HD install
walterw
05-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Hi,
I am interested in how Knoppix runs as I would like to make my own distribution. How does the Knoppix boot process differ from a standard linux harddrive install? What needs to be done to make a harddrive install run from a cd (Is it possible to make a live filesystem from just a harddrive install)?
Thanks,
Walter
rickenbacherus
05-27-2003, 04:23 AM
Hi,
I am interested in how Knoppix runs as I would like to make my own distribution. How does the Knoppix boot process differ from a standard linux harddrive install?
Standard? What's that? No two Linux distros install the same way.
What needs to be done to make a harddrive install run from a cd (Is it possible to make a live filesystem from just a harddrive install)?
Dude- read the docs (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/)
Thanks,
Walter[/quote]
walterw
05-27-2003, 02:11 PM
The reason I asked is that I don't see any documentation where you pointed me (I looked there before and again). Is there any documentation describing howto setup a live filesystem and how it runs more specifically? Would you happen to know of software that automates this process for you, such as build your own bootable linux cd BBLCD, linuxfromscratch, etc?
Thanks,
Walter
rickenbacherus
05-27-2003, 04:25 PM
There is the Knoppix remaster (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto)
There are Custom versions (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomizations).
And don't forget Projects (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixProjects)
Also a customization script (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2151). There has been mention that this script is in violation of some yet-to-be-enacted software patenting law in Europe. I dunno.
If nothing else try the
Mailing list (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/MailingList). You can ask Klaus and the other developers themselves questions. There are a number of people who have already made customized distros. It can be done.
walterw
05-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Thanks,
I have always used RedHat and just feel accustomed to it so much so that I would prefer to RedHat for making a live OS from that. I cannot get past the Debian install, I downloaded and burned the ISO images, but when running the install, I can never find the modules and drivers on the disc so the install does not go very far. My understanding of linux (which is very limited) is that all distributions tend to use a similar layout; however, the kernels are slightly different along with binaries. Are there any other differences between linux distros?
Walter
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.