PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the Remastering Howto document



bbeck
02-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm trying to remaster the 6.0.1 version of Knoppix using the steps outlined in the Howto. Steps 10-13 describe copying files from the /cdrom directory. However, that directory does not exist. Do I still need to copy those files? Have them moved?

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

Thanks

hal8000
02-13-2009, 09:51 PM
The howto was wrote at the time of knoppix 3.4. It is ok for knoppix 5.11 and 5.31 but I believe there have been many changes in Knoppix 6 distribution.
You may be better off starting with 5.31 or 5.11 to remaster

zaphod
02-25-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm trying to remaster the 6.0.1 version of Knoppix using the steps outlined in the Howto. Steps 10-13 describe copying files from the /cdrom directory. However, that directory does not exist.

You will find the directory by entering "mount" and look for your cdrom device. In my case it is /dev/hdc and is mounted to /mnt-system. This is the directory you are looking for.

fedemos
02-25-2009, 09:47 PM
which is the appropiate mkisofs code to compress the KNOPPIX 6.0.1 image?
I have tried without success:

mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
-hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
| nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

mkisofs -input-charset ISO-8859-15 -no-split-symlink-components \
-no-split-symlink-fields -R -l -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem"\
-P "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -pad \
/mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
| create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

With the following code I have had limited success:

mkisofs -input-charset ISO-8859-15 -no-split-symlink-components \
-no-split-symlink-fields -R -l -U -V "KNOPPIX_FS" \
-p "KNOPPIX www.knoppix-es.org" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes \
-m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/opt \
-m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/local \
-m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/NX \
-m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/src \
-m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/share/doc \
-m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/share/info \
-m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/share/man \
-m /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/share/games \
-pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
| create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX


The final compressed file is approximately 60MB lighter.
Before start the compression it show errors on some files
This is an example:
Using X-Debian-Screen-Savi006.desktop for /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg/X-Debian-Screen-Saving-activate_screensaver_(previous).desktop (X-Debian-Screen-Saving-enable_xscreensaver.desktop)


When create the live CD, the first change I notice is that not the background image of a writer
will I have to use a partition etc4? When?

zaphod
02-27-2009, 11:20 AM
which is the appropiate mkisofs code to compress the KNOPPIX 6.0.1 image?
I have tried without success:

mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
-hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
| nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

Before start the compression it show errors on some files
This is an example:
Using X-Debian-Screen-Savi006.desktop for /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg/X-Debian-Screen-Saving-activate_screensaver_(previous).desktop (X-Debian-Screen-Saving-enable_xscreensaver.desktop)


I use the following command (more or less the command from the remastering howto) on my normal desktop machine (I use my desktop machine for the remastering process...):


mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" \
-input-charset iso8859-15 \
-publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net"\
-hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -pad \
-o knoppix.iso.$$ \
source/KNOPPIX

It shows the same messages for all filenames longer then 32 (31?) characters. But if I mount the cd image, the long file names are there. So I assume, mkisofs only informs about the usage of some Rock Ridge extensions for long file names and this is more an information or a warning then an error message. So far I have not seen any problem with the resulting real knoppix cd (the one after compression and second cd image generation).[/code]

Clinton
02-27-2009, 04:23 PM
The howto was wrote at the time of knoppix 3.4. It is ok for knoppix 5.11 and 5.31 but I believe there have been many changes in Knoppix 6 distribution.

Would anyone like to volunteer writing an update relevant to the current version as I haven't had a chance to explore this yet? They could do directly on the wiki itself or PM it to me for posting. I would really appreciate it.

hal8000
02-27-2009, 08:30 PM
The howto was wrote at the time of knoppix 3.4. It is ok for knoppix 5.11 and 5.31 but I believe there have been many changes in Knoppix 6 distribution.

Would anyone like to volunteer writing an update relevant to the current version as I haven't had a chance to explore this yet? They could do directly on the wiki itself or PM it to me for posting. I would really appreciate it.


I'll have a go but it may take a few weeks as I'm pretty busy lately both at home and at work. Will check wiki in case someone else has updated then if not I'll pm the doc to you in html format as per original format.

fedemos
03-06-2009, 10:17 PM
following zaphod remasterise knoppix 6.0.1 coments with the englinsh languaje knoppix.net and I have no problem, only in NÂș 13 steep I have to change by:
cd /mnt-system && find . -size -10000k -type f -exec cp -p --parents '{}' /mnt/hda1/knx/master/ \;

I want to remasterise knoppix 6.0.1 to add spanish languaje, because only brings english and german

I made a precarius translate to spanish of files *.mo de ADRIANE and I got the most of the *.mo in spanish of Lxde and the rest of programs

I paste in:
/mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/share/locale/es/LC_MENSSAGES/


The problem is that I cant get knoppix start in spanish (knoppix lang=es) because when you start the menu, dialogues, and programs are in English

After a lot of failiure attemps I decided paste the *.mo files in spanish to /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MENSSAGES/ directory
I made a copy, restart the PC, wrote knoppix lang=de and Bingo!!! the programs and menu are in spanish and other things in german. I reboot the computer, put Adriane lang=de and bingo!!! Adriane is in spanish

My question is: Kowns some body what packages I have to install or what files I have to modify for add spanish languaje to knoppix 6.0.1?

finally: Zaphod, thanks for your prompt response, know that the message is an information or a warning and not a error, leaves me calmer

greetings......

nicholas
03-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I can not translate the main menu of LXDE. You can tell where, .mo file for this.

Thanks in advance!

fedemos
03-10-2009, 04:26 PM
I can not translate the main menu of LXDE. You can tell where, .mo file for this.

Thanks in advance!

Hellow Nicholas, there are many ways to get the files *.mo

1 You can download the LiveCD from lenny Lxde:
h t t p :// cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.0-live/
h t t p :// cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.0-live/i386/iso-cd/debian-live-500-i386-lxde-desktop.iso
run it and take the *.mo files you need

2 On this page you can find the *.po files
h t t p :// w w w .debian.org/international/l10n/po/
*The command to convert the files *.po to *.mo would be:
msgfmt file_name.po > file_name.mo

3 you can translate the files *.mo
* The command to convert the files *. mo to *.po would be:
msgunfmt file_name.mo < file_name.po

Greetins .....

devguy
03-17-2009, 12:48 AM
which is the appropiate mkisofs code to compress the KNOPPIX 6.0.1 image?
I have tried without success:

mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
-hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
| nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

Before start the compression it show errors on some files
This is an example:
Using X-Debian-Screen-Savi006.desktop for /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg/X-Debian-Screen-Saving-activate_screensaver_(previous).desktop (X-Debian-Screen-Saving-enable_xscreensaver.desktop)


I use the following command (more or less the command from the remastering howto) on my normal desktop machine (I use my desktop machine for the remastering process...):


mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" \
-input-charset iso8859-15 \
-publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net"\
-hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -pad \
-o knoppix.iso.$$ \
source/KNOPPIX

It shows the same messages for all filenames longer then 32 (31?) characters. But if I mount the cd image, the long file names are there. So I assume, mkisofs only informs about the usage of some Rock Ridge extensions for long file names and this is more an information or a warning then an error message. So far I have not seen any problem with the resulting real knoppix cd (the one after compression and second cd image generation).[/code]

Did anyone have success making the compressed Knoppix file? None of these seem to work in Knoppix 6. On Knoppix 5 this is the command I used and it worked.

mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
-hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /knx/source/KNOPPIX \
| nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

On Knoppix 6 running this command creates a file that is 5mb smaller then the original Knoppix file from the cd. I am not updating Knoppix yet, so the file should be the same size I believe. I am just copying the original CD files and trying to build the bootable iso from it. I would like to see a working iso before I try to update anything. After the above command I create the ISO file and all seems well. The problem happens when I go to boot from the ISO. It starts to boot but errors out when looking for init.

Anyone have any ideas?

fedemos
03-21-2009, 06:52 PM
hello I had a successful remastering following article:
http://knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto
This procedure is that I ran:

# Open a console
sudo -s
mount -rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
mkdir /mnt/hda1/knx
mkdir -p /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX
mkdir -p /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX
cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX
cd /mnt-system && find . -size -10000k -type f -exec cp -p --parents '{}' /mnt/hda1/knx/master/ \;

# Step 1 internet access (copy the three nameserver)
nano /etc/resolv.conf
CTRL + X for close

# Setup the environment for chroot
mount --bind /dev /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/dev
mount --bind /proc /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/sys
chroot /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX

# Step 2 internet access (paste the three nameserver)
nano /etc/resolv.conf
CTRL + o + ENTER for save
CTRL + x for close

# update and install
apt-get update
apt-get -t lenny install .......
apt-get install .......

# clear
apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean
COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l |grep ^rc |awk '{print $2} ' | xargs dpkg -P
deborphan
deborphan | xargs apt-get -s -y remove
deborphan | xargs apt-get -y remove

# Step 3 internet access (remove the three nameserver)
nano /etc/resolv.conf
CTRL + o + ENTER for save
CTRL + x for close

# Step 1 the end
history -c
umount /dev /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/dev
umount /proc /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/proc
umount /sys /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/sys
history -c
CTRL + D

# Step 1 the end (the single compression)
rm -rf /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/.rr_moved
mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
-hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
| nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

# Step 2 the end (the gib compression)
mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
-hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
| nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs -L -1 - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX


# Step 3 the end (create md5)
cd /mnt/hda1/knx/master
find -type f -not -name md5sums -not -name boot.cat -not -name isolinux.bin \
-exec md5sum '{}' \; > KNOPPIX/md5sums

# Step 4 the end (create an ISO image)
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
-boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
-hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master

devguy
03-22-2009, 08:10 PM
hello I had a successful remastering following article:
http://knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto
This procedure is that I ran:

# Open a console
sudo -s
mount -rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
mkdir /mnt/hda1/knx
mkdir -p /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX
mkdir -p /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX
cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX
cd /mnt-system && find . -size -10000k -type f -exec cp -p --parents '{}' /mnt/hda1/knx/master/ \;

# Step 1 internet access (copy the three nameserver)
nano /etc/resolv.conf
CTRL + X for close

# Setup the environment for chroot
mount --bind /dev /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/dev
mount --bind /proc /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/sys
chroot /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX

# Step 2 internet access (paste the three nameserver)
nano /etc/resolv.conf
CTRL + o + ENTER for save
CTRL + x for close

# update and install
apt-get update
apt-get -t lenny install .......
apt-get install .......

# clear
apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean
COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l |grep ^rc |awk '{print $2} ' | xargs dpkg -P
deborphan
deborphan | xargs apt-get -s -y remove
deborphan | xargs apt-get -y remove

# Step 3 internet access (remove the three nameserver)
nano /etc/resolv.conf
CTRL + o + ENTER for save
CTRL + x for close

# Step 1 the end
history -c
umount /dev /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/dev
umount /proc /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/proc
umount /sys /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/sys
history -c
CTRL + D

# Step 1 the end (the single compression)
rm -rf /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/.rr_moved
mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
-hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
| nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

# Step 2 the end (the gib compression)
mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
-hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
| nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs -L -1 - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX


# Step 3 the end (create md5)
cd /mnt/hda1/knx/master
find -type f -not -name md5sums -not -name boot.cat -not -name isolinux.bin \
-exec md5sum '{}' \; > KNOPPIX/md5sums

# Step 4 the end (create an ISO image)
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
-boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
-hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master

Thanks fedemos! I will give this a try. :)

unclecameron
04-29-2009, 12:10 AM
I think you also need to do:


cp -ar /mnt-system/boot /mnt/hda1/knx/master/boot

If you want to autorun scripts with LXDE, you have to

create /etc/xdg/autostart/someentry.desktop containing:


[Desktop Entry]
Name=Somename
Comment=Scanner
Type=Application
Exec=/home/knoppix/somescript.py
Terminal=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true

I also wanted to run a root mount script, which I did by creating another file in the same dir of somerootscript.desktop


[Desktop Entry]
Name=somerootscript
Comment=Somescript
Type=Application
Exec=/home/knoppix/rootscript.sh
Terminal=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true

in /home/knoppix/rootscript.sh I put


#!/bin/bash
sudo /pathtorootscript/rootscript.sh

and that all worked. This took a ton of time to figure out, I hope it helps.