PDA

View Full Version : Help me get back my Knoppix cd



William_Olbrys
06-13-2003, 02:27 AM
Im sure you dont read this one too often. I made a knoppix disc and locked myself out of it by editing the virtual consoles part of the inittab script. I wanted as few sessions open as possible to lock it down. In retrospect this was a stupid idea and I know that. Before I had time to make a new disc the hd i was creating the image on crashed and now i am up the proverbial creek. I thought about making a terminal session with a script on a floppy and using floppy config, but I'm fairly new to these administrative tasks and am totally lost. I spent hours and hours customizing this disc and starting over seems like an impossible task. what should I do?

Will

eadz
06-13-2003, 02:34 AM
you can still extract the data using the tools on the Knoppix Customization pages ( in the docs section of this site ). Some methods of customization extract the CD Not from the booted CD itself, but using a program that reads the compressed KNOPPIX file.

William_Olbrys
06-13-2003, 02:36 AM
oh i didnt know that! thanks alot

William_Olbrys
06-13-2003, 03:40 AM
i looked through the docs but couldnt really find anything that did what i wanted. so i tried the extract_compressed_fs command that comes with cloop-utils. its been extracting a while and its only a 100mb image. am i doing the right thing or should i kill this...

will

William_Olbrys
06-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Thanks for your help! I finally got the CD Customizer script to work. Someone should update that program a little bit to make it a little more user friendly, or at least some better instructions. Id be glad to :)

Will