View Full Version : How to add root and knoppix password automatically ?
ktheking
06-13-2003, 10:24 PM
Any idea how to add a root and knoppix password automatically ?
(without user intervention)
It's to create semi-customized knoppix. :shock:
It should launch FTP server and SSH server automatically at boot.
But without setting the password for knoppix this doesn't work.
Anyone an idea ? :?
Greetzzzzz,
probono
06-15-2003, 03:58 AM
I would use useradd to create a new user with password automatically in knoppix.sh. For detailed information on useradd, please see the man page.
ktheking
06-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Answer resided in article 'Headless knoppix' (docs division) :oops:
the line :
echo "knoppix:$PASSWORD" | chpasswd
does the trick.
Nevertheless you must be in root.
Since you can't sudo this with knoppix user ,you'll have to work with inbetween script.
The reason I use sh xxxx.sh is that I can use then from a remote drive. (I don't have to chmod it 8) - since I can't either )
How I pulled it off :
- launch KWrite (or other editor)
type here :
echo "knoppix:testpassword" | chpasswd
save it as setmyknoppix.sh
- Now type in knoppix console :
sudo sh setmyknoppix.sh
Now the password for knoppix is set to testpassword
This can also be applied for the root :wink: .
- launch KWrite (or other editor)
type here :
echo "root:rootpassword" | chpasswd
save it as setmyroot.sh
- Now type in knoppix console :
sudo sh setmyroot.sh
et voilą ....
greetzzzz...
ktheking
06-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Sorry chaps, seems you can't get bold into code :( .
So here is the good one
Answer resided in article 'Headless knoppix' (docs division) :oops:
the line :
echo "knoppix:$PASSWORD" | chpasswd
does the trick.
Nevertheless you must be in root.
Since you can't sudo this with knoppix user ,you'll have to work with inbetween script.
The reason I use sh xxxx.sh is that I can use then from a remote drive. (I don't have to chmod it - since I can't either 8) )
How I pulled it off :
- launch KWrite (or other editor)
type here :
echo "knoppix:testpassword" | chpasswd
save it as setmyknoppix.sh
- Now type in knoppix console :
sudo sh setmyknoppix.sh
Now the password for knoppix is set to testpassword
This can also be applied for the root .
- launch KWrite (or other editor)
type here :
echo "root:rootpassword" | chpasswd
save it as setmyroot.sh
- Now type in knoppix console :
sudo sh setmyroot.sh
Now the password for root is set to rootpassword
et voilą ....
greetzzzz...
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.