PDA

View Full Version : Howto Disable Virtual Terminall?



DaRacerz
07-10-2003, 12:28 AM
Hello,

How does one go about disabling the Virtual Terminal? I just want to see an image basically once 'X' gets loaded up. I know I can do this by Compiling a new 2.4.20 Kernel, but from what I have read its a pain in the butt and from early tests, it has failed for me.

So, one, is there an easy way out of this by sending a Kernel Boot Parameter to disable this?

If not and I need to build a new kernel, where can I get the appropriate XFS Patch? And once applied, I just do the normal make dep clean bzimage modules modules_install install and overwrite the vmlinuz in the boot.img with the new or? Thanks for all help in advance.

mark

dmi
07-10-2003, 06:50 AM
From memory the virtual terminals are started from /etc/inittab. You might be able to modify this file to disable the virtual terminals. Terminals are usually started by getty or similiar.

dmi
07-10-2003, 06:51 AM
From memory the virtual terminals are started from /etc/inittab. You might be able to modify this file to disable the virtual terminals. Terminals are usually started by getty or similiar.

DaRacerz
07-11-2003, 04:05 PM
I checked ou the inittab like you said, but unless I am 'blinded', I didn't fiind what I was looking for so I just proceded with building a new kernel which worked in full success. And for those out there searching how to build a new kernel, I personally found it to be surprising easy and successfull compared to some other post.

Here's what I did for reference:
Downloaded Linux-2.4.20.
Added the XFS Patch
Configured Kernel from Previous Config and then Modded
Loaded Knoppix Patch in /usr/src dir
make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 (i'm fairly sure this is the command)
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.20
Took the boot.img file, and mounted it (mount -t msdos boot.img boot -o loop=/dev/loop0 )
replaced the vmlinuz file with the newly created one.
unmount boot
Replace boot.img with the newly made one

Recreate ISO Image and vwal

NOTE: Some Information taken from the Docs Section ffrom the KernelCustomize Howto and KnoppixRemastering Howto.