PDA

View Full Version : Remasting from damn small linux



firepunk
07-18-2003, 03:57 AM
I recently tried to remaster from damn small linux, but was confronted with the fact that there is no mkisofs command... I'm kinda new to the whole remastering and was wondering if anyone had any success, and if so, how did you do it?

firepunk
07-22-2003, 03:49 AM
I fixed my own problem, but now i'm experiencing some aweful bloat issues. I first noticed it, and then ran a test. I copied damn small linux over, and then without editing anything, I remade it. The iso is now 129mb, instead of 50mb... I didnt remove, or add anything. So I have no idea whats going on. Any ideas?

I used knoppix 3.1 to remaster damn small linux. Maybe that is the issue?

mikeypants
07-22-2003, 07:20 PM
Did you re-compress the KNOPPIX file as per the directions here (http://gnubox.dyndns.org:8080/~sunil/knoppix.php)? Most specifically, this line:


#mkisofs -R /mnt/hda3/KNOPPIX | create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda3/NewCD/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

firepunk
07-22-2003, 07:49 PM
I sure did. I used that one and this beast of a command:

mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -P "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

Which basically does the same exact thing.

MichielioZ
07-28-2003, 02:13 PM
To me, it seems that you didn't unmount the proc-filesystem before remastering... am I right ?
In the chrooted environment, try to : umount -l -f /proc
before building the ISO...
Hope it helped.

cookiepuss
08-02-2003, 01:05 AM
I have been playing with damn small and an into a problem with libc6 which errors saying it isn't fully installed. Along with ethereal. . .

I have searched google and so forth to no avail. . .any ideas or is it something obvious?

MichielioZ
08-06-2003, 03:52 PM
The new 0.4.2 version seems to have a problem with apt-get, even after unpacking the dpkg.tar.gz !
Either I am doing somthing wrong, or adding dpkg.tar.gz doesn't work for the 0.4.2 version.. :(

cookiepuss
08-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Actually I was having the same issue when I was playing with DS. I finally gave up and took Model K and updated the 35MB ISO then built up from there. I had even tried upgrading dpkg to no avail on DS.

-J-

MichielioZ
08-07-2003, 01:23 PM
cookiepuss : where did you get model-K ? (or did you still have it laying around somewhere ?)
I ask this 'cause the links on the "Customizations" page didn't seem to work...

cookiepuss
08-07-2003, 03:32 PM
I have had it for some time now. If you want what I have so far you can find it here: http://localareasecurity.com there is a dpkg -l on the site.

-J- :P

cookiepuss
08-09-2003, 04:40 AM
I realized wat the problem was. . .

After downloading the seperate dpkg tar xvzf it

Then cp -Rp it to /var/lib

I think it is the 'p' switch that helps. . .

-J- :lol: