View Full Version : problem extracting and remaking iso file system
covici
07-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Hi. I have a strange problem -- in previous versions of knppix, I extracted the compressed file system on the cd, made the kernel changes and then recompressed successfully. NOw if I just extract and then do a mkisofs -- after changing only two small files and the kernel, it comes out about 4 megs larger than before, and so it compresses much bigger.
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong.
I use mkisofs -r -o <filename> <place where I extracted the compressed system>
Also, I saw a post about a remastering howto -- where is this to be found?
Any assistance would be appreciated.
arkaine23
07-28-2003, 08:48 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto
That's the guide I used.
covici
07-29-2003, 05:06 AM
I found the howto useful, but the question still remains -- why if I just extract the files with NO changes and re make the iso file system -- why is it not the same size? I am running very close to the edge and this is important -- I am already burning 816mb according to cdrdao.
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto
That's the guide I used.
arkaine23
07-30-2003, 02:47 AM
Are you using the mkisofs commands found in that how-to? If all you've done is extract and edit a couple of files, you should not be seeing an increase in size.
MichielioZ
07-30-2003, 08:43 AM
I posted this on another thread too..
Did you unmount the proc-filesystem before remastering ??
If you don't, you'll end up with a (much) larger ISO...
Hope it helped.
covici
07-30-2003, 12:20 PM
I think one thing which might help this problem is if we might know the exact parameters which were used to create the original iso for the compressed file system -- anyone can help with that?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.