PDA

View Full Version : maximum twisted-pair cable length ?



adyga
10-05-2003, 11:04 PM
hi, need some help in here !
I want to connect 2 machines with each other using ethernet card on each node connected with a null-cable, what is the maximum length for my case ?
p.s.:I am planning to get a 40 METERS twisted-pair cable
thanks in advance for help :)

Stephen
10-05-2003, 11:30 PM
I've got a machine here on about a 20m cable so it will go that far a quick google search (http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=maximum+rj45+cable+length&btnG=Google+Search) came up with this (http://www.ale.org/archive/ale/ale-2001-04/msg00202.html) which says 300ft.

adyga
10-05-2003, 11:39 PM
thats great, if that includes my case:
NIC to NIC, with 40 meters, then I am going to make this connection, note that I dont want to use hub nor switch, just a plain NIC to NIC.
thanks :D

Stephen
10-05-2003, 11:52 PM
thats great, if that includes my case:
NIC to NIC, with 40 meters, then I am going to make this connection, note that I dont want to use hub nor switch, just a plain NIC to NIC.
thanks :D

I think that may include a switch I was just reading the first link (http://www.linuxathome.net/articles/howto_cat5.php) in the google search on making your own cable and they are talking about 30m as a maximum for the soft cable type you can still give it a try though and see what happens.

awm
10-08-2003, 11:00 AM
40 metres is Ok
Max length from end to end for 100baseT is 100 metres a touch more than 300 feet.
The length is restricted by signal timing considerations not signal strength or external interference so can't be extended by using screened cable.

Using old style "Thin ethernet" co-axial cable with BNC connectors however allows almost twice this..

tsitras
05-11-2004, 11:05 PM
if you use the 'CAT 5e' cable you can guarantee transmissions up to 180 meters, without the use of repeaters.

horo
05-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi,


you can guarantee transmissions up to 180 meters,
I have tested 100BaseT with J-Y(st)Y 2x2x0.8 (ordinary german 4 wire _telephone_ cable) over about 50m without problems, so there is a lot of security in your range.

Ciao Martin

Hunkah
05-13-2004, 04:58 AM
I agree with the 100 meters / 300 feet thing (according to my education, I have never actually set one up this big.)