PDA

View Full Version : how can I apply a kernel patch ?



mazaal
03-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi there,
I want to apply a couple of kernel patches but I am a bit unfamiliar with this kind of operation.
Here is the situation: my Knoppix is the latest 3.3 version (2004-02-16) so the kernel is the 2.4.24-xfs.
I have downloaded the corresponding sources from Klaus' server. They are unpacked in /usr/src/kernel-sources-2.4.24-xfs
I now want to apply a patch ... what you be the command? do I have to change lilo.conf? boot.img?
Thanks for your help

cesman
03-09-2004, 07:38 PM
http://knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomKernelHowto

mazaal
03-10-2004, 04:48 PM
well ... i am afraid i'll need more than that ...

basically i install the kernel sources, the patches I want to add
then I patch with the knoppix-kernel.patch
then make-kpkg --append-to-version=-20040310 --added-patches=mypatches kernel_image modules_image

so far so good ... everything goes well

the problem comes when i want to install this new kernel-image ...
if i do dpkg --install with my new kernel ... i get an error saying "can't find /etc/fstab"

any clue ?

kelmo
03-12-2004, 07:10 AM
create a blank text file /etc/fstab and rm it after remaster