Turn off Auto Network Configuration
Hey,
Been using knoppix 3.6, love it. As I loved versions 2-through to the present version...
However, one thing that has bothered me since installing 3.6 is no matter how I tweak out my network settings, knoppix destroy's them al upon reboot.
So, I have two dns servers in my home, I WANT to use them, NOT the ISP supplied dns provided by my router using dhcp, I have turned dhcp off via the knoppix menu=>network=>network crad configuration
It asks if I want to use dhcp, I emphatically click NO each time and enter the network settings i DO want to use, all is well until reboot, then I have to go and do the procedure again...when I check /etc/resolv.conf after a reboot my ISP's DNS suffix has been added along with both of their dns servers, which quite frankly, cannot match the speed I get from having two in my own home...Even my secondary resolves faster than their primary.
So, with your help, next time I reboot I will not check resolv.donf only find my isp's information there...
Cheers,
J
That seems to have done the job
Thanks
I will reboot a few more times to make sure the settings are sticking, but I beleive that worked just fine.
I did as you said, and ran the network card configurator before I rebooted (I didn't do that last time) and then rebooted and all seems to be well now.
Thank You so much Shah-it was driving me nuts-I KNOW how to cnfigure a network in linux, manually, this auto-config stuff that knoppix has going on is great!Except I KNOW nothing about it!!! but I'm learning slowly---I ain't a programmer but perl and shell scripting seems to be my new area of learning...wish me luck:-)
Cheers and thanx again!
John