No Internet - eth0 = ok, pppoe = in use(??) with live cd 3.6
I can't connect to the internet with the live cd 3.6 (DSL).
Since I can't do anything wrong - after affirming having only one eth0 I get the error message with "pppoe already in use" - I guess, it's because of my new chipset (VIA KT880) and the build in LAN.
Can anyone enlighten me?
Except for internet Knoppix runs fine - I can't even get Mandrake 10.1 to install :) - but believe me or not, sometimes I do need the internet. :)
If it's my chipset, does it mean, no Linux distribution would work (at the moment?)?
OT: My mainboard has SATA (and RAID), which is deaktivated, and I've heard about problems with SATA and Linux. Do these problems arise even if you don't have any SATA disks but only the (disabled) chipset? Because I need a new disk and if I have problems even with the normal (P-) ATA disks then I might as well buy a SATA disk. (I think my Mandrake problems are due to this.)
Addendum 2004-09-29T19:57
Problem solved
Quote:
wechsle auf eine konsole. logge dich als root ein.
gib ein:
pppoe
und es erscheinen nach kurzer zeit ein paar seltsame zeichen. dann wieder der prompt.
nun kannst du mit
pppoeconf
die konfiguration starten. nun wird der dsl-concentrator (oder wie das ding heißt) wundersamerweise erkannt.
aus http://www.supportnet.de/discussion/...nicht+gefunden
It seems to be a bug, since I found it in 3.6 and 3.7 but not in 3.2 and 3.3.
no connection to access concentrator - ARCOR DSL
Addendum "no connection to access concentrator"
I put a Realtek in without success (and tried Knoppix 3.7).
Knoppix found then 2 eth but I still get the same error message. That message is actually the third window, the second one is just showing shortly with "Looking for ..."
And the error message is actually "No access concentrator could be contacted(!) That could be due to pppoe beeing already in use"
Sorry for my wrong wording earlier.
Maybe Knoppix has problems with my Arcor DSL? But that's just a white box without any configuration and which works fine with Win XP.