Can't see data on Windows FAT32 partition
Hi all,
I'm using Knoppix 3.9 as a live CD to recover data from a botched Win98 machine (OS boots but then explorer.exe crashes at a critical point, preventing further boot progress) by moving it from the local FAT32 hdd (one partition) to a Windows file share on another machine using SMB. I have run into a few problems, so I would really appreciate it if someone more experienced could give me a hand.
Knoppix boots but then I am told 96MB RAM is insufficient for KDE & it asks me whether I want to create a swap file on the drive. Now, maybe I'm comitting one of my trademark blunders but when I press <Enter> with Ok highlighted, I get sent back to the same dialog without warnings/errors. If I press Ok again, same thing happens.. repeat until inf. If I press <Enter> on Cancel it boots into a different windowing system. Why is it that it cannot create a swap file on a FAT32 drive?
Once I am in this other windowing system, i notice that there is a /mnt/hda1 but when I open it, it's empty. I know the drive hasn't been wiped because I can still boot Windows from it (kinda). Do I need to explictly mount it? If so, then what is hda1? Could someone help?
Thanks,
Alex
Re: Can't see data on Windows FAT32 partition
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2004
Cancel it boots into a different windowing system. Why is it that it cannot create a swap file on a FAT32 drive?
Once I am in this other windowing system, i notice that there is a /mnt/hda1 but when I open it, it's empty. I know the drive hasn't been wiped because I can still boot Windows from it (kinda). Do I need to explictly mount it? If so, then what is hda1? Could someone help?
It's not clear to me why you cannot create a swap file. I did when I tried booting on a 64 meg system. It's slow but it worked. Do you have enough free space on the hard disk for the swap file? The only thing I can think of is the disk may not have the free space. Since it's Win98 and FAT at least you should be able to boot DOS or a Windows backup disk and get into it that way and free up some space if needed.
I'm not sure what the "other windowing system" is. In the normal KDE GUI you should indeed click on the hda1 icon and have it open your first hard drive partition. Can't say whay should happen with a different GUI. There are still several things you can do, including just dealing with a command line interface, but I would try to resolve the swap file issue and get a kde gui up (understand that iit will be slow with a memory hit).