Booting a laptop off a Knoppix CD without a harddrive.
Ok,
I have a project in mind that I think Knoppix would be great for. Hopefully this is in the right forum. But here is my plan and requirements. I have a basic understanding of Linux as I've been running various forms of *nix for a few years.
Requirements:
Boot a laptop off a knoppix CD
Laptop does not have a harddrive.
I want to have a wireless network card which will be connected to my home network
Once the laptop boots I want it to automatically run a script which is on my home network.
Laptop must be able to boot with a keyboard and mouse or without a keyboard and mouse.
Optional: If laptop boots without a keyboard and mouse I want to be able to plug them in and use them, if I have to reboot to use keyboard and mouse that's acceptable.
Optional: Use of USB.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Re: Booting a laptop off a Knoppix CD without a harddrive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuapex
I want to have a wireless network card which will be connected to my home network
Once the laptop boots I want it to automatically run a script which is on my home network.
Just a few thoughts: Do you have a wireless card or will you be buying one? Be aware that there are many wireless cards that Knoppix does now support (and a few that it does). Read the wireless networking section in the wiki and scan the Networking forum for a lot more discussion on this.
To have a script run from your home network in the way you describe, I expect that you'll have to remaster the disc to make this happen. There are several things that you would have to add to the original CD before you could run a script from the network, particularly when using a wireless interface.
Re: Booting a laptop off a Knoppix CD without a harddrive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuapex
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not quite clear on what your question is.
FWIW, if your laptop supports it, Knoppix will boot just fine from the CD without an HDD. In fact, I've booted a laptop into Knoppix that had no HDD, no battery, no floppy, no USB, and no CD-ROM using PXE and Knoppix's Terminal Server.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org