Manually mounting the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX glob ???
I am trying to learn the remastering using the O'Reilly article. The resulting disks start to boot (discovery down to "Welcome to Knoppix..."), but then fails after finding the system. It can't locate an "ld.cache" and then "rm", "awk", .... It makes it through 10-15 lines of "not founds" and drops into a shell awaiting reboot.
I want to compare the the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file I built with the one from the distribution. I thought to do that by mounting it with a loop somehow. But the 'testDidtribution.sh' pipes the iso through "create_compressed_fs". and then stores it.
What commandline commands would give me the equivelant of how the disk is mounted (accessed) during live CD access? Hopefully with the same on-the-fly decompression during acces as is happening during the live CD boot.
My remastering problem is that I have completed Part#1, cobbled the equivelant to Part#2. This part is a bit vague and seems to have been done with a different set of directory structures. In Part#3 I made no changes and simply remastered (using the scripts) what I had just extracted. I must have made a mistake somewhere in Part #2. (I have requested some clarifications from the author, which I am still awaiting).
Any help will be appreciated.
BillS
Probable error in O'Reilly article
windos;
Thanks for the link, and the example.
I also found the problem I mentioned in my post. The O'Reilly article has a typo (IMHO)(or at least missing characters).
Part #2 Step #3
---
bash-2.05# cp -pR /KNOPPIX/ /mnt/hdc1/KNOPPIX_original
bash-2.05# cp -pR /mnt/hdc1/KNOPPIX_original /mnt/hdc1/KNOPPIX_remastered
---
the cp commands are missing "/*" each (IMHO) after the source directories
---
bash-2.05# cp -pR /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hdc1/KNOPPIX_original
bash-2.05# cp -pR /mnt/hdc1/KNOPPIX_original/* /mnt/hdc1/KNOPPIX_remastered
---
That way the testDistribution.sh produces a bootable file
BillS