About the two versions of the install
Hi All,
I'm into day two here and I have managed to install knoppix to HD and it's booting pretty much ok as far as I know (no experience to be sure yet, of course!) I've done this three times now, trying to see if I can improve certain aspects of the install.
Biggest problem I've had is that using the "knx-install", the machine gets to about 99% installed, and then starts throwing up all sorts of cloop related errors, which by and large whizz past so fast I can not read them. It then reports the process was a success. Does this installer make any log files which I could use for a post mortem?
Also I am not sure if it corects the errors as it goes along, but the resulting installation seems to work anyway. The small insight I have into the nature of the errors is that it is struggling to read the CD, and it then appears to have to slow the drive to get the data read right, and this is what seems to be happening. Am I mad or is this what's likely to be going on?
Given all this, I did try to use the other flavour of installer - knoppix-install, and this only ever seems to tell me that I need to set up the hard disk to go further, and then allows me some tools to do that, then having done that it fails to use the drive, claiming it's not how it would like it to be (when I know for a fact that it's exactly what it said it wanted. It then offers that if I really know my stuff (which I don't, beyond being able to satisfy myself that it's wrong about the state of the drive) I can use "xxxxx" which I have no idea how I am supposed to impliment, or even where. This seems to be broken, or is there something I have yet to know about this? I've not even got a clue what I should be looking up or searching to find out.
I'd like to use the second one as I have seen it said that it offers a more debian like install, and since I ultimately want a server, then this would make a sensible choice, as I would benefit greatly form the extra partitions I would need on a server installation.
Personally, I'm fine working with fdisk, as long as I have a list of what's needed by the distro in question, and actaully quite enjoy setting that bit up as it's reward once you got it right, and not that difficult to do.
I don't know enough to do a full debian install on my own. I have tried in the past, and I know I have not been able to get it quite right. Not sure if it's the intructions or me or a mix of the two. Knoppix seems my last hope of getting from here to there as far as I know. Any good suggstions as to what I might try next?
BTW, it's probably not much of a deal for anyone else, but I just went and got firefox and it's working (I'm typing this using it!), so I feel much more at home already, since I use that as my main browser for windows and have done for some time now. (Since firebird) This last bit sure feels like a much needed small victory! :lol:
knx-hdinstall vs. knoppix-installer
Hi Colin, just from my experience, and I have re-installed quite a few time just to fine tune and correct installation mistakes, knx-hdinstall worked much better in my opinion. When I used knoppix-installer, it did'nt prompt me to make the swap partitions usable, so in the end I had a swap file partition that was not being used. And also knx-hdinstall gives you the option to pick from 3 server type and where to place the boot loader. I am not sure of the cloop errors you spoke about. I guess I am lucky cause I installed knoppix on a Compaq Presario laptop and the only problem I have is it doesnt completly shut off when you log out. And the Knoppix on my desktop, the only problem is it doesnt recognize my sound card BUT LINUX drivers make up for it and it works ok. So all in all I am satisfied. So even tho you use knx-hdinstall, as long as your system is running ok, dont worry about the cloop errors. There is a command to print out [copy] a file of the boot up sequence when all those little things are flying by. I think its called "dmesg -c" or something like that, but it saves that process as a text file so you can look thru to find discrepancies.
Not sure about what you said about computer struggling to read the cd.....I dont like knoppix-installer, cause like I said, when you are donr setting up partitions in cfdisk, it doesnt prompt you to make the swap partitions active.....knx-hdinstall is more dependable and i have re installed quite a few times to realize this. I am new to this myself, but I find the most confusing aspect is the command line!!!! I am totally knowledgable in DOS and the command line, but in LINUX.....i need help.
Also I noticed using knoppix-installer you are prompted to use either a knoppix installation or Debian. At first I chose Knoppix and had all sorts of password problems....So i re did it and used Debian which I am used to and I like. Knx-hdinstall defaults to Debian anyway. So I would start from scratch, boot the CD, do ctrl+alt+F2 to bring up console.....follow instructions and you will go into the cfdisk program to partition the drive. I just make a swap partition and a LINUX one...some people make 3, the 3rd being for programs. But I dont think its neccessary at this point. And when you finish, as long as it works, then thats most of the hard work done!!!! bob