You have been here over 3 years and made over 50 posts. How can this surprise you? It is exactly what I would expect of Knoppix. See Answer #2 for more info.Quote:
Originally Posted by cvevans
Printable View
You have been here over 3 years and made over 50 posts. How can this surprise you? It is exactly what I would expect of Knoppix. See Answer #2 for more info.Quote:
Originally Posted by cvevans
temporary workaround:Quote:
Originally Posted by cvevans
get apt_0.7.20.2+lenny1_i386.deb from packages.debian.org
edit /etc/apt/sources.list,
# comment out all "deb-src" lines
apt-get update
if you tried apt 0.7.21, now you can downgrade apt:
dpkg -i apt_0.7.20.2+lenny1_i386.deb
8)It's official! Even Dummies now recognizes Knoppix and mentions it in the book "Green I.T. For Dummies" by Carol Baroudi, Jeffrey Hill, Arnold Reinjhold, and Jhana Senxian.
Mentioned in Chapter 19 e-Waste Not, e-Want Not. p 301. Topic of Making Diskless Machines UsableAnd again mentioned in Chapter 22: Ten Creative Computer Recycling TIps pp330-331Quote:
If the computer has a working optical drive, run a live CD or DVD operating system, such as Knoppix(knoppix.org). These CDs/DVDs come loaded with desktop software such as the free OpenOffice.org program, which performs the most common function of the Microsoft Office suite and can read and write to Office files. Users can keep files they create on USB thumbdrives, or on other machines such as a central server.
Use Knoppix
[size=12]Quote:
If corporate security policy wonh't allow even sanitized hard drives to leave the company, surplus disk-less PCs can be made quite usable with a live CD- or DVD-based operating system, such as Knoppix (www.knoppix.org; click the U.S./U.K. flag for the English version of this site.). These Linux distributions (distros) boot directly from the computer's CD or DVD drive and include a Web browser and office applications. Files can be saved on a USB (Universial Serial Bus) thumb drive or by mailing the files as an attachment to an e-mail account at Gmail or Yahoo. (You can open such an account for free at mail.google.com or mail.yahoo.com.)
I can't speak to most of the issues but I can mention something that happened to me. I needed a copy of the 5.3.1 DVD for another techie and I accidentally slipped in a cd instead of dvd in the burn drive. Voila! And Surprise a working CD of the 5.3.1 disk. It had most of the tools we need immediately and not some of the graphics intensive, but it worked.Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitikitimbo
Capt. V. Cautious