OK, there's your new thread. Readers are cautioned that "will be available" does not make any statement about just when it will be available, and the implication of "mostly unchanged" is that some changes will be made.
New Announcement on knopper.net:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix53-en.html
After CeBIT, Version 5.3 will be available on the Knoppix-Mirrors for Download, mostly unchanged.
So it's time for a new topic "Knoppix 5.3" here.![]()
OK, there's your new thread. Readers are cautioned that "will be available" does not make any statement about just when it will be available, and the implication of "mostly unchanged" is that some changes will be made.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Meanwhile, an unofficial 5.3.0 torrent is available.
The Distrowatch news brief at http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080303#news
links to a torrent on LinuxTracker for KNOPPIX_V5.3.0DVD-2008-02-12-DE.iso
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?pa...fe0b93ee389fbd
AFAIK the 5.2 release, like this one, was a c't magazine and CeBIT special. It's been a while since we had a public release - 5.1.1 came out in January, 2007.
Anyway, here are some screenshots of Knoppix 5.3. (Click the thumnails for a larger view, and watch out for the ad server cookies ImageShack likes to set.)
KDE 3 desktop
KDE 3 with compiz-fusion
KDE 4.0.1 desktop (note the "Kubuntu" logo)
GNOME and Xfce 4 desktops
Looks interesting, thanks. I'm not clear what the Kunbuntu reference in the 6th pic was, another computer on your network maybe? And what hardware were you running to get compiz-fusion working? Do you know if there is support for both Nvidia and ATI for compiz-fusion on the disc? (asked by someone who never could get Beryl to work in 5.1.x). Nice to see Virtualbox included, although I expect the nature of Knoppix kept out the proprietary parts that are still free for personal use; I'm surprised that Klaus didn't go for a purely open source virtualization tool. Now for the long wait until and if we get an official public release, you're correct there never was an official Internet release of 5.2.x, although we we led to expect one.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
There's a Kubuntu logo visible in the bottom right-hand corner of the KDE 4 "kickoff" menu. So Klaus must have used Kubuntu's KDE 4 packages.
In order to get compiz-fusion running, I downloaded and installed the latest nvidia driver (v169.12) while running from the live DVD, and let the nvidia installer configure xorg.conf. (I tried installing an earlier version of the driver - v100.14.11 - and installation failed.) Then I used the command
compiz-manager & kde-window-decorator --replace &
from a Konsole window to start compiz-fusion. (For some reason, I couldn't find a way to use Emerald.)
Knoppix has a "switch desktop" command on the Knoppix menu (it's a link to /usr/sbin/restartx), and one of the choices is compiz-fusion. It started KDE with compiz-fusion running, but without a window decorator.
(I don't have any experience with ATI cards, except for the crappy Radeon XPress 200M chipset in my laptop, which requires XGL to run beryl or compiz.)
Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
If you prefer "completely unchanged", the CeBIT version is here:Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4066611/...08-edition.iso
For English as usual, lang=us ( shift-0 for = )
Thanks macs, but I prefer to wait for whatever Klaus decides id to be released to the Internet. Even, if like las year, it never gets released.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
I downloaded knoppix 5.3 Geran version not realizing that it actually was all German version. Is there anyway I can make it into a permanent Enlish/USA one? Not just the keyboard either, I mean everything including the OS, programs and the whole distro load.

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99
IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD
$279.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )
$24.99