don't know if this will help
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8171
Printable View
don't know if this will help
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8171
Calvi wrote:
This is exactly what I get after having installed 3.4. I've tried to understand the rest of the thread, but a lot of it is beyond me. Were you able to resolve this issue, after all? I kind of got lost, and don't know what the result was. My thread is here:Quote:
At boot, besides the W2000 option at sda1, LiLO offers three additional options:
Linux
Linux (2.4)-1
Linux (2.6)-2
The first and the second options boot into kernel 2.4 with this error message:
mount: fs type devfs not supprted by kernel.
The third option does not boot and gives the following error message:
pnp: unable to assign resources to device 01:01.01.
Kernel panic: VFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown block(8.33)
From there, only a hard reset gets me out.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10735
Any help would be tremendously appreciated..
Hello CW:
No, I have not been able to find the cause of the problem.
I have asked about the problems I have had in a number of posts but to no avail.
I don't know if this is an 'installer problem', a 'SCSI driver problem' or something else related to init-tools or whatever ... :lol:
The thing is that only the first version of the Knoppix CD will boot kernel 2.6, the next two will not. Whatever has changed in the CDs composition, drivers or layout has the clue.
See my posts to get the idea:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10697
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10615
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10614
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10385
Apparently there originally were some posts saying that the installer did not work properly with SCSI installations and these problems do seem (at least to me) something that is related to PCs running SCSI rigs, so mabe it is SCSI driver related.
But I really can't say ...
I'll have to read and investigate the link posted by liquidant and see what gives.
Nevertheless, I see that the post is related to the very first 3.4 version of Knoppix handed out at the C'T expo and not distributed for downloading. It apaprently had some quirks and missing files, most probably due to the fact that it was strictly a LiveCD for evaluation.
All posterior versions surely had the missing files incorporated to the CD as well as quite a few fixes which made it more complete and installable.
Sorry, but I'm afraid that's all I can contribute for the moment.
Cheers and don't give up,
CIV
Thanks CIV
I noticed, however, that you say elsewhere that you're able to boot into 2.4, albeit with the now-infamous (and infuriating!) error message about devfs. Is that true? I've actually never been able to boot into an installation, because it hangs after the kernal panic (whichever option is loaded from LILO). So for me, it's not even a 2.6 issue--I just want to have any version running!
Perhaps I'll go find the first ISO (5.4.04?) and try to install that... I'd just like to see anything running, at this stage.
Hello again, CW:
Of course ...Quote:
.... you're able to boot into 2.4, albeit with the now-infamous (and infuriating!) error message about devfs. Is that true?
I've never told a lie. :lol:
Seriously, have a look at all the posts I linked for the details.
All versions of the Knoppix CD ran 'Live' 2.4 on my rig.
Only the first one booted 2.6. I was able to install all three (2.4) to CD.
My guess is that it's one thing if the LiveCD does not boot and another if you cannot get it to install on to the HD.Quote:
I've actually never been able to boot into an installation, because it hangs after the kernal panic (whichever option is loaded from LILO). So for me, it's not even a 2.6 issue--I just want to have any version running!
If you cannot boot the LiveCD, have a long hard look at the cheat codes sheet. The key to many a problem usually lies there.
Did you ever try version 3.3?Quote:
Perhaps I'll go find the first ISO (5.4.04?) and try to install that... I'd just like to see anything running, at this stage.
All this said, I think that we must not lose sight of the fact that KnoppixCD is a LiveCD distro (and a fantastic one at that !!!) but one which apparently was never meant to be a distro for installing to HD.
This makes me think that to find a solution to the small set of problems many of us have experienced with the HD installation we'll have to both keep an eye on this forum for anything new but also look elsewhere for cleaning up our act when installing Knoppix to HD.
As I read in the first page of this forum:
Have a look here:Quote:
Once you have installed Knoppix, it basicly becomes debian, so you should check out www.debian.org for information.
http://jetblackz.nabaza.org/
It's just full of great easy to understand info about Linux in general and how to install it.
Do read all of it ...
And very specially look here:
http://jetblackz.nabaza.org/InstallingKnoppix34.html
Cheers and don't give up.
CIV