Uh, so what exactly do you do for upgrading? And why is the final 3.3 still called unstable?
Printable View
Uh, so what exactly do you do for upgrading? And why is the final 3.3 still called unstable?
/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc fix didn;t work. at least it worked halfway. Edited the file appended the line mentioned. started KDM forma console and could type in it, upon a reboot I could once again NOT tpye into KDM. Seems kinda backwards to me to have to use GDM or something else to get KDE to boot up. I've read the cross-threaded bugs on this until i about went crosseyed, for now I'll just console login then startx.
====================================
As for Stealth's question...
Knoppix is based on the Debian distribution of Linux. Debian comes in 3 "flavors"
1.) Stable (aka Woody)
2.) Testing (aka Sarge) [Knoppix's default setting)
3.) Unstable (aka Sid)
When a new version of any program nis released it first goes into Unstable. After sufficient time in Unstable "pool" where bugs are located/fixed and the program is tweaked, the progam then can enter the Testing "pool". After sufficient time in Testing where more bugs are quashed and further teaking is done the package may then be moved to the "stable pool" (there's more criteria than this involved but this is the simple version).
since KDE 3.3 was just released it's now part of the Unstable "pool". If you're a desktop user and you always want to have the latest release version of programs you'll want to "upgrade" to unstable or add unstable apt-sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list.
The reason KDE is labeled as "unstable" is because it has not undergone the VERY rigorous Debian intitation process of going through unstable to Testing to Stable.
That's not to say that KDE 3.3 for Debian is unstable. Just that it's a new release and hasn't been tweaked to run specifially for Debian and the various architectures Debian supprts.
Unstable is a perfectly acceptable "flavor" for a desktop operating System. So is Testing, though you'll wait a little longer for the newest releases to come down the pike.
Stable programs for Debian are well behind the latest releases (I think Debian Stable uses KDE 2.2). Stable is good if you're running a mission-critical server and are willing to trade off the latest version of a program for an older version that is rock solid by Debian standards.
Oh....so I have to add the apt-source for the "Sid" files so that I can apt-get it, since its not as "Woody" or "Sarge" yet? Is there a command I can just type, to override the use of d/ling only Sarge and Woody files, so that I can install it? like:
apt-get install kde3.3 -sid or something?
That's unfortunate as it worked for me. Perhaps there's something different in Kanotix. FYI this thread is where I got the tip: http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kd.../msg00345.htmlQuote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa
if you don;t feel like a flull blow upgrade to the unstable distribution you can mix testing and unstable packes. in your case if you want to keep your distributions as testing but install the latest KDE which is currwently in unstable you could add some unstable sources to you /etc/apt/sources.list. here are the unstable sources I have listed in mine:
# Unstable
deb http://debian.tu-bs.de/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-US.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable non-US/main non-US/non-free
if you add those lines to you /etc/apt/sources.list file after an apt-get update to install the laterst version of kde (the quick and bloated way) you could apt-get install kde/unstable
the /unstable flag after the package indicates you want to override your defualt level of testing for that package and use packages in unstable for that particular program.