-
where have you put the kernel source you downloaded ? you should cd to that directory.
Assuming you put it to /usr/src, then you would
cd /usr/src
doing a 'ls' here, you are expecting to see the 'linux' directory entry. if it read something else, you need the line mentioned
#ln -s 'whatever name the kernel source you download' linux
the patch file expect this linux/.... directory structure.
Better yet, post the 'ls -l' result from /usr/src(assume that is the place you untar the kernel tarball).
-
Actualy, I am now all the way through " make-kpkg --added-patches=/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/apply/xfs configure"
no if you could just explain what is meant by linux/.config I will be done, unless that step isn't needed.
Also, a much simpler question, how would I go about re-compiling the kernel once if I edit a kernel driver?
-
linux/.config is just a shell script which will ask you questions on what features to include/exclude etc. ? That is my guess as I haven't get to the stage of fixing the kernel yet. The last time I have played with linux kernel was may be 10 years ago.
Just open that file with an text editor. If it is minor fix, may be you can just copy the configure file of KNOPPIX kernel at /boot/
As for recompile the kernel, this page give you a quick intro of steps involved.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view...08/kernel.html
-
You have been amazingly helpful. thank you VERY MUCH
-
you are welcome.
Just curious, what features you want to fix in the KNOPPIX kernel ? It is very much up to date with almost all the necessary stuff in it.
-
I wanted to add a device to a specific USB driver.
In particular, I have a pocketPC and needed to add a line or two to ipaq.h and ipaq.c so that I could synce them with linux using SynCE because witout patching that driver, the only PocketPC's supported for syncing are the iPaq the cassiopiea and the jornada.