Let me see:Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxSam
4 harddisks, 3 CD/DVD drives? Maybe that's what he's pointing at?Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxSam
Shouldn't be the standard (back then) CPU, RAM, Mobo, sound, 3D nor the TV card I guess...
Printable View
Let me see:Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxSam
4 harddisks, 3 CD/DVD drives? Maybe that's what he's pointing at?Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxSam
Shouldn't be the standard (back then) CPU, RAM, Mobo, sound, 3D nor the TV card I guess...
--Actually I refuse to buy a SCSI controller that doesn't have it's own bios anymore. Onboard BIOS means you can boot from the SCSI drive, tweak the settings, and even fdisk it under bare DOS if necessary.
--Only problems I've had is using ' enable disconnect ' on really old 50-pin, 4-gig Seagate full-height drives. They don't like that. Once I got faster 68-pin drives I yanked the ancient 50's for the speed increase.
--Oh, and on some older 68-pin drives you need to limit the transfer speed down a bit from 40MB or they get bozotic. (Usually the next lower setting - 32MB - works fine.) Those are pretty much the only problems I've run into with Adaptec AHA2940 cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohanman
I'm sorry...offcourse there isn't anything strange with your hardware, it's just that i've never seen such a combination of components.
With 'strange' i meant the fact that Debian doesn't seem to have a problem but Knoppix does.
I must say it hes been a while (3 years ?) that i used scsi, but i had a problem because of the bios installed.
This bios gave a conflict I couldn't solve (had to do with spin up time).
Is your debian installed on the scsi drive ?
Then there might be the answer.
The oly difference between debian and knoppix is in my view that you boot knoppix from cd.
For what it's worth - I had 3.1 installed with an Adaptec 2940UW controller on an IBM certified to work with this controller. - I had a hell of a go at trying to get USB devices mounted but was never successful. As soon as I yanked it there they were - no problems. This next problem was present irregardless of the OS. - if you powered down the machine, on reboot it failed to load the scsi BIOS and would time out then happily load your ide drive OS. - the only way to get it to load was to clear the CMOS & NVRAM. I got tired of that real quick. There are BIOS flashes available but none of them (at least that I saw) were specifically for my card and so rather than render the controller useless I just installed it to a machine that liked it a little better.
edit
Just found this in the mailing list:
Quote:
> On my RH 8.0 computer my SCSI CDRW is dev 0,3,0 but when I boot
Knoppix
> on it, the same CDRW becomes dev 1,3,0. Why?
Probably because Knoppix is loading the ide-scsi modules first.
ide-scsi
then becomes SCSI host 0 (even if there are no emulated IDE drives)
and
your real SCSI adapter becomes host 1.
You can also load the ide-scsi module first in your RH system to get
consistent device numbers.
Regards,
Stefan Gybas
Well... I disabled the SCSI-harddrive in the BIOS on the SCSI-card but got the same result...
I guess something is causing my USB-memory to not be detected be it SCSI-card, motherboard, graphicscard or something else.
When knoppix is booted and I insert the usb-storage module manually everything works fine but that is too late to be able to use the USB-memory as my persistant home-directory.
I guess what I need is a "cheatcode" to be able to specify that the usb-storage module should be loaded at boot-time but I guess there is no such cheatcode...
And for the curious... the SCSI-drive happened to fall into my lap and when I allready had a SCSI-card in the computer for the CD-writer I decided to plug it in.
/LinuxSam