To all members who stumble to this thread
To all members who stumble to this thread:
Please don't let the above discussion confuse you. Follow the steps below and you should be successfully playing Flash contents within Mozilla:
I too had an old Flash Plugin in my Knoppix system which was incapable of playing flash videos, particularly, from YouTube.
I upgraded my Flash plugin by
- Manually creating a plugins folder as:
Code:
/home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins
- Then I downloaded the compressed Flash plugin tar.gz package from Adobe website, Version 11.2.202.394 , uncompressed it, extracted the libflashplayer.so plugin and placed it in the plugins folder, and the other contents into folders for which they are intended.
- Then I tested with the flash version testing site . The site shows the current version no. 11,2,202,394 using commas, rather than full-stops.
- Now the sites which use adobe flash content are shown by my flash player within my browser, particularly, YouTube.
- Some sites might not be. You should check your Scripts- and Ads- blockers and reconfigure them.
Hopefully, the problems would be solved.
Disclaimer, and some observations
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
... it isn't necessary to follow rajibando's instructions above ...
First of all, I need to say that the instruction is not mine, friends :). So I don't deserve the credit. In fact, user89 had discussed it in brief. Also, as I have stated earlier, in the Post No.6&7 the archive install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz downloaded from the Adobe site contains a readme.txt file that contains the requisite information, though not very clear or correct. But it takes little effort to bridge the gap and anyone should be able to do it.
So the instructions are Adobe's really, not mine!
And it is necessary to remember the instructions, because Adobe will surely update its Flash Plugin in between two Knoppix releases, and installing the new version via the native Knoppix method might not work, like it didn't presently. Then the steps would again be necessary to install the Flash Plugin.
I repeat with emphasis: It _is_ imperative to remember the Manual Installation Steps via the native Readme.txt file of the archived Flash plugin install_flash_player_xx_linux.yyy.tar.gz. (xx version no. and yyy, the architecture of the CPU).
Tne need for manual install
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
...if you want a new version of Adobe flash player within Knoppix you can do it with aptitude. "aptitude update" and if there is a new version of "flashplugin-nonfree" you can install (update) it. For example within Knoppix V7.3.0 there have been flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.4. After "aptitude update" I can select flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5 and will get the latest version from Adobe...
Hi, Mr. Schulz, why is it that you say hello to Mr. Kuhman but not to me when I greet you, when you post to my reply :) ? We _are_ acquainted, so far as I can remember, exchanging personal messages... If there has been a misunderstanding somewhere along the way I sincerely apologise.
I have reservations against apt's ability to resolve issues.
The latest example is my trying to install nVidia packages in my HCL laptop. The problem is that Knoppix uses several repos, including Stable, Testing and Experimental. The chances are that the packages of each repo may be incompatible with the other, like my nVidia drivers. I first installed nvidia-detect, then tried to install other nvidia drivers, as directed by nvidia detect. I tried but apt would not install, reporting conflicting dependencies. Then I was compelled to download and install the drivers via gdebi, as without the drivers my display is limited to 1024X768. With nvidia drivers it is 1280X800. Now, the repository database is broken. I can install new packages, but at the end it will report the installed conflicting dependencies of nvidia xserver.
There is another option, using just one repository to install a package such as nvidia. I know, but am not changing the setup since my system is working just fine! But I will do it in future with a new release of Knoppix.
In the end, Apt and Knoppix scripts are created for automation, by men, to be used by men, hence is limited like men are. They will work when they do, but no automation is panacea, I mean, for all systems and for all times.
Hence, in particular cases, we do need to remember the manual install methods. This was the context for my emphasising on the manual install method via the adobe's native Readme.txt file inside its archive package.
Since the intent of this thread has already been addressed, shall we close it now and discuss the related issues in some other thread? :)
Regarding rewriting of man pages with many examples
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
...But I don'l like nicknames and I never use it within a greeting formula. I respect it, if people want to hide themselves. ...
Thanks for explaining! :) You _can_ always use my first name or my family name. There is nothing secretive about it. 'rajibando' is just my user name. In Debian, Ubuntu and Geogebra, I use my gmail user name. The name issue arises just because of the username one has to choose. I chose an intuitive one some fifteen years back, during the initial stages of internet exposure in my country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
...If there are problems, aptitude offers to look for other solutions or to quit. Perhaps, one of the other suggestions will fit. If no, you can try "aptitude install -t stable foo" or "aptitude install -t testing foo" or one of the many other options of aptitude...
The difficulty with aptitude is the lack of illustrative examples, something which irks me. I had even decided at one point to rewrite the man pages of linux but I don't know where to begin. For each binary file (core utilities and other files) there are different maintainers. It would be difficult for me to contact each one when there is no centralised resource.