Inability to connect to the Internet
To Harry,
Thank you for your very detailed explanation or routers. I have made a printed copy for reference IF I get round to buying one again.
I should add that I bought one about 3 months ago, and did not find it of any help whatsoever. In fact I found it a bit of a hindrance, so much so that I no longer use it. However, in the light of your detailed explanation, I may get around to trying it out again.
=====================================
To others
All this talk of routers appears to me to detract from the initial direction of this thread, namely how to connect to the Internet using Linux, when all the connecting tools appear to require dialing-up a connection, when in my case, and others too, we don't need to dial anything, as all we need in Windows XP is, an ID and a password. No modem either just a connection into the computer's "network" socket from the cable provider.
This may or may not be new technology, but surely there is someone who could give authorititive advise without the need for routers and the like.
Re: Inability to connect to the Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbb
.. but surely there is someone who could give authorititive advise without the need for routers and the like.
Maybe your system is so new that Knoppix doesn't support it, although I rather doubt that. I think it's more likely that Rusty and I tried to point you in the proper direction but that you hit another problem and abandoned that approach.
Re: Inability to connect to the Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbb
All this talk of routers appears to me to detract from the initial direction of this thread, namely how to connect to the Internet using Linux, when all the connecting tools appear to require dialing-up a connection, when in my case, and others too, we don't need to dial anything, as all we need in Windows XP is, an ID and a password. No modem either just a connection into the computer's "network" socket from the cable provider.
This may or may not be new technology, but surely there is someone who could give authorititive advise without the need for routers and the like.
Basically what your cableco has done has moved the typical cable modem to some box thats probably on the side of your dwelling or may even be inside a equipment cabinent someplace. They then run you an Cat 5 cable to plug into the network card of your PC. This is rather unique to use PPPoE on a cable based plant, but since its outside the US, thats probably not that unusual. If your video service comes this way to then its probably some form of IPTV.
PPPoE be it under Linux or Winvirus is still dialing. Thats part of PPPoE. Winvirus just is doing a better job of hiding it from you. If you ran an install CD or on the intial setup it asked for user name and password at some point. Thats now stored in the PC setup for that connectoid. PPP of the PPPoE is Point to Point Protocol or PPP its whats used on all those dialup modems. You can have something called SLIP or Serial Line Interface Protocol, PPP became the defacto standard for most connections unless you really needed SLIP for some reason. You can also have another ancient technology called UUCP or Unix to Unix Copy Protocol. For years before the internet boom UUCP was the way most got their email and NNTP (news) from a ISP or mostly university/colleges. PPPoE is just doing PPP Over Eterhnet, thus the oE. You can also have PPPoA which is PPP OVER ATM. The point of this is that PPP = DIALING in some manner some how some way. This link has some good info to understand PPP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Protocol and for SLIP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_...ernet_Protocol
Thats why under winvirus XP you enter a user name and password, thats what its for to connect= dialing.
In Linux you are going to have to go through the dialing steps to get the PPPoE connection established so that you can get an IP etc. on the ISP's network. Till you "connect" to the ISP you really don't have a connection to the internet, but only to the ISP. The PPPoE script is there to set up what it needs to talk to the internet. It may not be dialing in the traditional sense of dialing a phone number, but its still dialing.
A router would probably solve this problem instantly as there is some incomptability between the PPPoE stack in Linux and your ISP's, or some obscure setting that is not getting set by Linux that winvirus is setting. The router would create the PPPoE connection from your ISP to the router, then you feed the PLAIN JANE Ethernet out to Linux. Zero issues with plain jane ethernet and Linux.
If you have another computer and a HUB (NOT A SWTICH) a HUB. Take the hub plug the cable from the cableco into the uplink port of the hub, plug one computer into another port, plug you winvirus xp computer into another (COMPUTER OFF). Turn on the spare computer if it doesn't have it install ethereal so you can snoop on the winvirus computer you normally use to connect to the internet. With capture on turn on the winvirus computer and connect to the internet. Then post the log of ethereal here. Something in there may show some setting that the normal PPPoE setup is missing and can be corrected.
Far simpler would be a router which would solve the issue, instantly. Also its a more secure connection. I insist on a router for any system I troubleshoot. No router, I don't work on it till you install it or I install one. Doens't matter Linux, Winvirus, mcrap, AS/400, router. No its not to make money, router is at cost to them and installed free. With out it troubleshooting some issues is just asking for more trouble.
Re: Inability to connect to the Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec9140
PPPoE be it under Linux or Winvirus is still dialing.
What are you talking about? I've used PPPoE in Knoppix, the same setup that Rusty gave the exact menu location for. It goes out and finds the PPPoE connection just fine. It requires the username and password, It does not require a phone number or any dialing; my DSL is always on and no dialing is needed. There is no dialing. There is no dial-tone. There is no modem in my computer, only an ethernet card (which connects to a DSL box loosely called a modem that then connects to the DSL line coming in. PPPoE under Linux and Knoppix does not need to involve dialing.
I have only used PPPoE as a test and wiped the hard disk after it, I normally always use a router (which does the PPPoE itself, again without being told any phone number to dial, only username and password when connecting) for my connections, but PPPoE does work without dialing, I just advise strongly against using it.
Inability to connect to the Internet
To rec9140,
Thank YOU.
However, I'll need to digest your advise and information SLOWLY. I ain't so young as I used to be. It seems that we have got back to routers again though.
Have you also looked at the "ifconfig" results I posted earlier ?
Could you perhaps explain the jargon there in plain English ? Currently it is gibberish to me in it's current form.
I do happen to have another laptop, namely my old computer, to try out your suggestions, but...... what is a "HUB" ? I'm new at this don't forget.
Why though is the Windows XP connection tool called "Winvirus" ? It would lead one to believe that it was an anti-virus tool with a name like that.
Thank you though, for another point of view that at least sounds authoritative, confirming Harry's opinion on routers too.
You certainly seem to have disturbed "Harry" I see. I had not better get involved here. I think it better I sit it out on the side and watch you two "experts".
Regards
=============
To Harry,
You said:
Quote:
"I've used PPPoE in Knoppix, the same setup that Rusty gave the exact menu location for. It goes out and finds the PPPoE connection just fine. It requires the username and password, It does not require a phone number or any dialing; my DSL is always on and no dialing is needed. There is no dialing."
Here I think you have not noted that my version of Knoppix DOES include the dialing step and phone number requirement in connecting. I think we have different versions. I've always assumed that this dialing step, because I have no number to enter, has been the stumbling block.
Where did you get your version ? Perhaps I could download the same version to try out to see if there is any change, if you could let me know the source.
Mine came, as I previously said, from the "Moving to Linux" book by Marcel Gagne. All the connection tools in this version have the "dial-up" step needing a phone number.
Please don't assume that your advise on routers has been ignored. It has not, and if I can find a place locally to get a router that meets your ideas on specs, I will get a new one. The one I already bought some time ago, does not seem to meet the specs that you advocate. In the mean time, would l like to endeavour to get connected without one as a first step, to prove a point if nothing else.
Regards
Re: Inability to connect to the Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec9140
PPPoE be it under Linux or Winvirus is still dialing.
What are you talking about? I've used PPPoE in Knoppix, the same setup that Rusty gave the exact menu location for. It goes out and finds the PPPoE connection just fine. It requires the username and password, It does not require a phone number or any dialing; my DSL is always on and no dialing is needed. There is no dialing. There is no dial-tone. There is no modem in my computer, only an ethernet card (which connects to a DSL box loosely called a modem that then connects to the DSL line coming in. PPPoE under Linux and Knoppix does not need to involve dialing.
.
You and the oringal poster are confusing dialing with POTS and dialing numbers.
PPP as I posted still dials .. ....
NO it does not dial a phone number
NO there is not a dial tone.
NO modem involved.
Again, your taking the traditional route of "dialing" to task.
Step back and think outside the constraints of the standard definition of dialing, use connect if that works better.
PPPoE is a way for ISP's to oversell their network as its not always on, unelss you get a router, which every time the session times out it reconnects. Which they probably are trying to prevent by saying it you need winvurs XP to connect, and not compatible with routers or Linux or mcrapx.
PPPoE has to connect for each session (routers will time out, just they reconnect automatically), and the session is very similar to a dial up, just uses Ethernet as the transport versus V.90/92 and a POTS line.
Inability to connect to the Internet
Reading other threads on this same subject, and gleaning "How to" on my current Windows XP connection to my IP, below are the details for you, to interpret. That is if it is of any help solving this 'connection' problem in Linux.
My previous "ifconfig" results I have posted earlier in this thread.
Regards to you both.
Quote:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.115.35
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
PPP adapter netvigator:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 219.79.83.158
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 219.79.83.158
[/quote]
Re: Inability to connect to the Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbb
Here I think you have not noted that my version of Knoppix DOES include the dialing step and phone number requirement in connecting. I think we have different versions. I've always assumed that this dialing step, because I have no number to enter, has been the stumbling block.
There are 2 different discussions going on about this issue, you might want to read this thread also. But as to your above statement, in this thread and not the other Rusty point you to exactly the pppoe setup in Knoppix, it does not use dialing, You responded to him:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbb
Yes, I've tried that with the result that it says the connection has been triggered.
However, using either browser supplied, there is no Internet connection....
and then you dropped it and have been insisting that pppoe needs dialing, which it does not. Read the other thread for an idea of what may be going on.
Re: Inability to connect to the Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbb
However, I'll need to digest your advise and information SLOWLY. I ain't so young as I used to be. It seems that we have got back to routers again though.
A router will solve the issue. There seems to be a resistance to them for some reason. A simple inexpensive even in HK, device will solve your issue and let you connect via Knoppix or probably any other Linux.
Just as a test, pick another current live Linux CD and downaload it like Kubuntu or PCLinuxOS Big Daddy, try to set them up for the PPPoE connection see what happens and posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbb
Have you also looked at the "ifconfig" results I posted earlier ?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbb
Could you perhaps explain the jargon there in plain English ? Currently it is gibberish to me in it's current form.
I do happen to have another laptop, namely my old computer, to try out your suggestions, but...... what is a "HUB" ? I'm new at this don't forget.
This is a very advanced troubleshooting method.......
A hub is a way you connect computers to a network, you need one of these over a similar device called a switch. The reasons are beyond this discussion, but hubs and switches work different and to "snoop" on the network you need a hub.
http://www.directron.com/vis8por10hub.html Thats an example...... Being in HK go to your local computer "row" and tell them you need a network HUB, you will need to be persistent as they will try to sell you a switch. Be sure you get a HUB.
Network Cable in from your ISP (The one you plug into the PC now) ======== to Hub Uplink port (VERY IMPORTANT)======== plug laptop into another port any port on the hub=========plug the XP PC into another port on the hub. You will have 3 wires plugged into the hub now.
Either install on the laptop a copy of etherreal or use a disc like Knoppix and run it from the CD.
You want to capture the packets that the XP sends out to see what its doing. Setup ethereal see: http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html
Once you have the log you can post it and possibly there will be something that triggers a way to find out what the issue with your ISP.
A router for the cost of the switch would solve this whole problem and not require more of time investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbb
Why though is the Windows XP connection tool called "Winvirus" ? It would lead one to believe that it was an anti-virus tool with a name like that.
Winvirus is my name for windows. Its nothing but a virus that infects systems from the start. I am getting rid of it from my systems. I no longer install it to the systems I build. Spyware/virus infected are wiped clean and Linux installed or bare drive. I am just tired of the same nonsense over and over on a daily basis with it. I use Linux 99% for work. I have one winvirus based program that still is required. Its days are numbered due to a change to a different system for this program.