CD ROM not accesible after hdinstall, thank u!
I love knoppix, & I'm a complete noobie, I tried to go through all the posts to find an answer b4 I posted now.
I installed Knoppix to my 40GB hdd but
my CD rom is not accesible, I can see the desktop icon for it but when I click it tells me that it doesn't exist.
I know it's just not pointing to the correct device, but I don't know how exactly to correct this, I woould be extremely greatfull if anyone can show me how to fix this.
I love Linux more every day, & I want to help others install it onto their PCs, but I have to do some hard work & learn as fast as I can.
Thank you in advance!
R.
Thank you, further details on CD ROM issue:
Hi All, Thank you so much for trying to help, sorry for the delay:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
Violinist, I've got 2x IDE CD ROms hooked up to an Asus board with an Athlon XP 1500 cpu. One of my CD ROMs is a slave to my 40GB HDD.
Sure, I did check I had a CD inside the CD ROMs, the msg I get when I click on the CD ROM icon is:
"Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist."
I've installed knoppix on 4x different PCs & all had the same issue above.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
HI Fingers!! Thank you for your help, here's what you asked me to do:
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda2 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
Hi Jhonb, thank you for the command, I tried it & it let me access my Windows HD1 that I couldn't access b4, thank you. But I still cant access my CD ROM, I'm probably just missing something small.
Re: Thank you, further details on CD ROM issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardomardi
Sure, I did check I had a CD inside the CD ROMs, the msg I get when I click on the CD ROM icon is:
"Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist."
I'm probably just missing something small.
Yes you are the link in the icon is messed up just delete the icon from the Desktop and create a new one with the proper link and while your at it do the same for the floppy it is the same way as well. And I second the advice about changing to /dev/scd0 & 1 for the CD's in the /etc/fstab do this before making the icons. And do not forget to ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrom1 ln -s /dev/scd1 /cdrom1 and ln -s /dev/scd0 /cdrom in addition to the above suggestion in the Edit.
How do you edit your fstab ? Thanks
Hi Stephen & Markus, thanks for the info, I'm almost there, but sorry, I just don't know how to edit the fstab files, I tried to use VIM but it didn't save the file changes.
I'm really a noobie & I'm trying not to waste your good advice, I'll see if I can figure it out before you (if you reply) reply to this post.
Thanks again for your help.
R.