Problwems with KDM after upgrading to 3.3
Much like the opriginal writer of this post I am using Sid/Unstable and upgraded to KDE 3.3. However after the upgrade for some odd reason KDM abjectly refuses to recogize the keyboard I have. Bios recognizes, it is recognized system wide as in order to get KDE up I have to log into the console and then "startx". Then the keyboard works fine in KDE, but something seems foobared with KDMs new version. Anyone else have this problem?
Oh and to the last person who asked about getting stable KDE, might take a while, usually the release passes through unstable, then into testing, then to stable. IMHO Sid/unstable is perfectly fine for a home computer, it may carry the label of "unstable" but I haven't had any major crashes with it. If you're running a production server yeah I'd advise you to stick to stable, but for a home desktop you're not going to do yourself wrong by going with unstable, and you'll get the latest releases as they become availble to the apt repository.
Re: Problwems with KDM after upgrading to 3.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa
Much like the opriginal writer of this post I am using Sid/Unstable and upgraded to KDE 3.3. However after the upgrade for some odd reason KDM abjectly refuses to recogize the keyboard I have. Bios recognizes, it is recognized system wide as in order to get KDE up I have to log into the console and then "startx". Then the keyboard works fine in KDE, but something seems foobared with KDMs new version. Anyone else have this problem?
I've had this happen twice, but IIRC it was the first two times booting up the new KDM so I just wrote it off to some new config being generated. Does it happen every time for you? Perhaps just swicht to GDM.
What I dislike most about KDE 3.3 is that I can't find a way to adjust the vertical grid size for desktop icons. Perhaps I just didn't look in the right place though. Anyone?
OT: Another weird thing is this:
Quote:
markus@fujibox:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
3.1
I thought Sarge was getting to be called 3.1 and I've always ran unstable/experimental
Re: Problwems with KDM after upgrading to 3.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus
OT: Another weird thing is this:
Quote:
markus@fujibox:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
3.1
I thought Sarge was getting to be called 3.1 and I've always ran unstable/experimental
True. But that file doesn't seem to get changed as you upgrade from sarge to sid. Or at least mine haven't. :)
To stealth re: unstable apt-sources
if you don;t feel like a flull blow upgrade to the unstable distribution you can mix testing and unstable packes. in your case if you want to keep your distributions as testing but install the latest KDE which is currwently in unstable you could add some unstable sources to you /etc/apt/sources.list. here are the unstable sources I have listed in mine:
# Unstable
deb http://debian.tu-bs.de/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-US.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable non-US/main non-US/non-free
if you add those lines to you /etc/apt/sources.list file after an apt-get update to install the laterst version of kde (the quick and bloated way) you could apt-get install kde/unstable
the /unstable flag after the package indicates you want to override your defualt level of testing for that package and use packages in unstable for that particular program.