How do I kill frozen program without killing the whole beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberstew
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagnemojo
It's not only stable, but it also gives you so much more control. You're not binded by the options included in a particular gui screen. I also like how an app can freeze up the whole screen (which would incapacitate windows) and you can just drop back into a terminal and kill the offending program. There are lots of reasons...and I imagine everybody likes different parts. I also love that every program I need is free and can be installed within seconds. As far as which is faster, I have a very streamlined windows install on both my desktop and my laptop. Linux still beats windows on both systems.
Getting used to using it and learning to configure things and such are tough in the beginning (although knoppix really makes it as easy as possible). But it's worth it if you stick it out. :D
How
do you kill programs in Knoppix? :oops:
I just experienced a freeze in Mozilla and I tried every combination of ctrl-esc-alt-Del that I could think of, but nothing ever happened. Several times, when running from CD, I froze Konqueror and tried ctrl-alt-del (Windows Task Manager) and it apparently did an emergency shutdown of all processes, ending with remove CD and press any key to shutdown. This time, now from beginners HD install, I got NO reaction to anything. Finally had to power off. Any suggestions? :?: