if i use the disk boot is there a way to set up a section of my harddrive for the disk?
Printable View
if i use the disk boot is there a way to set up a section of my harddrive for the disk?
pardon ?
I am using windows and i want to use linux to.
If i was to use a disk boot could i make it so that one part of my hard drive is for linux and can it be acessed by the disk boot?
Yes, it can be done. Browse through the Documentation, although I haven't found anything which explains the process well. In brief, you will do the following:Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpinko
1 - resize your NTFS partition
2 - create a linux partition
3 - install Knoppix
BTW, although Knoppix is great as a LiveCD, it is not so good for installating to the harddrive. For hard drive installs, have a look at Kanotix
Let us know how things go.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
Alternately, I would suggest:Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcitek
Knoppix can write to the FAT partition just fine (it cannot safely write to the NTFS partition, which is why rwcitek indicated that you needed to make space). With a FAT partition you will be able to move files back to Windows if needed, something you will not be able to do if you make a Linux partition.Code:1 - resize your NTFS partition
2 - create a FAT partition
3 - install Knoppix EDIT: Warning - see my next post below
One tool that will let you resize the NTFS partition is Partition MAgic. Unfortunately it is not free. I don't know of any free tool like it in the Windows world, but you can always search.
Install knoppix where?Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
I understood he wanted to run from the cd so steps 1&2 above are needed.
Qtparted on the cd can be used to resize ntfs but it is often buggy so several defrags and backuping is recommended.
Opps, you're absolutely right. I noted the suggestion to make a Linux partition and wanted to post that I felt it would be better to make a FAT partition. I cut/paste and edited a little too quickly. In no way would I ever really suggest installing Knoppix. Had my brain been in gear the post would have read:Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus
Code:1 - resize your NTFS partition
2 - create a FAT partition
3 - run Knoppix from CD
Buggy? Yes, Windows will run chkdsk on the next boot, but that's about it. I've used qtparted many, many times and have not had any issues. But if you have, I'm curious to know about it.Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
As an alternative to installing, I've put the ISO, a swapfile, and a persistant disk image on a vfat partition. Knoppix can boot from the CD and then the ISO using the bootfrom= cheatcode. If that setup works for people, I recommend doing that with a vfat partition instead of installing to a ext2/ext3 partition.Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
Two months ago in May, a gal at my lug, lilug.org, had used qtparted to resize a NTFS partition. I did not see the results first hand but I did hear about it first hand. qtparted ran into some error about halfway through the resize and b0rked the NTFS partition. It boot windows to a bluescreen STOP error and was unable to mount it in Knoppix. Lucky for her, she had backed up all the important documents & homework to another PC so all she lost was an existing windows installation. Whenever NTFS resizing is mentioned & since I don't know the skill level of people reading my words, I tend to follow through with a warning.Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcitek
That said, I personally have had no errors or problems with qtparted & ntfsresize.Quote:
Use this at your own risk. There is ALWAYS some risk of losing data. Please ALWAYS make sure that you have a working backup of your important data prior to experimenting with ANY new software, no matter if is Windows, Linux, Mac OS or anything else.
I haven't used qtparted to resize ntfs but have read several posts about how it completely borked the partition. I don't think they all made up the stories. The warning on the qtparted homepage is perhaps a standard disclaimer, but IMHO a needed one. No matter what software you use to resize a partition, you should do a prior backup.
Ah, good idea and nice warning. That should be on the wiki page for easy reference. Or maybe it is, and I missed it.Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderScore
I guess I'm blessed in that my Windows machines are only for experimenting while my work-horse machines are either Linux or Mac OS X. So I tend not to think twice about resizing NTFS partitions. But maybe I should when I reply to queries.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
Its now in the wiki at the HD install howto.Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcitek