When I use Knoppix V4 to edit file , I received this message :
You do not have enough permission to read file://mnt/hdb4/boot/grub/menu.lst
How can I get root previlidge to modify the file ?
Printable View
When I use Knoppix V4 to edit file , I received this message :
You do not have enough permission to read file://mnt/hdb4/boot/grub/menu.lst
How can I get root previlidge to modify the file ?
Any idea or help ?
Two ways:
1.) First become root. use the command: su -
Then change the root password: passwd
Enter the new password twice, then exit: exit
now use KDEsu to run a editor as root: kdesu kate /mnt/hdb4/boot/grub/menu.lst
2.) Or use sudo: sudo kate /mnt/hdb4/boot/grub/menu.lst
Thanks for that ....I am going to try it and let you know.
Why can't I use :
gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
Oh its also possible that the /mnt/hd4 is mounted read-only. So that too might prevent you from changing (writing) to a file.
That file is quite important & special to the system. It probably has permissions & owership to prevent non-priviledged users (non-root users) from making changes to it. Do a:Quote:
Why can't I use: gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
ls -l /boot/grub/menu.lst
and it will probably look something like:Code:-rw------- 1 root root 775 Aug 11 2004 menu.lst
knoppix@0[knoppix]$ su
root@0[knoppix]# passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
root@0[knoppix]#
root@0[knoppix]#
root@0[knoppix]# kdesu kate /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst
mkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
ICE Connection rejected!
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
DCOPServer self-test failed.
kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
kate: ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Can't setup DCOP communication.
root@0[knoppix]# ICE Connection rejected!
root@0[knoppix]#
root@0[knoppix]# sudo kate /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst
mkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
ICE Connection rejected!
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
DCOPServer self-test failed.
kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
kate: ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Can't setup DCOP communication.
root@0[knoppix]# ICE Connection rejected!
Then I found option called "root shell",,,I opened that one and I typed in:
vim /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it did work,,,
nedit /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it did work as well.
Yes I can read it,,,but today I realized that I can not modify it,,,,what should I do to overcome this issue ?Quote:
vim /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it did work,,,
nedit /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it did work as well.
things to check:
do you have permissions to write it? Are you root user? And if you are not root user, then either become root user or use sudo.
Next, is /mnt/hdb6 mounted read only? If so, then even root user can not write to it? Remount it as writeable
Yes I am root user.Quote:
Are you root user? And if you are not root user, then either become root user or use sudo.
Could you please explain ,what should I do to check and how can I mount it again?Quote:
Next, is /mnt/hdb6 mounted read only? Remount it as writeable
You meant I have to issue ls -al to see the permission for the file,,,then to change the permission I have to type in:Quote:
Could you please explain ,what should I do to check and how can I mount it again?
chmod +w /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst or chmod +w /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst,,,,,,,,didn't you ?
if you do below, you will able to modify /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst
1- mount /dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6
2- Right click on the hdb6 icon (my case).
3- Click on "Actions"
4- Change the read/write permissions to writeable.
What I do is :
open shell/console
'su' to root
'mc' to open midnight commander
change to /mnt/hdb6........etc using keyboard/mouse
select menu.lst (ie highlight it)
press 'F4' to edit (but beware.....changing the wrong thing can make your system unusable, don't blame me if you do :wink: )
I will try your suggestion and let you know
I highlighted /mnt/hdb6,,,,I tried "Enter" button it did not let me access it.Quote:
change to /mnt/hdb6........etc using keyboard/mouse
I tried other keyboard buttons , I could not access it,,,,
Is there any special charcter I have to hit to be able to access it ?