5.0.1 (2006-06-01) DVD and networking.
Hi, All. I cannot get networking to work on this release (specified in title) on either my pc or my laptop, using either dhcp or manual configuration. Both machines run Fedora Core and Windows and are running fine with dhcp configuration. The dhcp configuration will go smoothly upon booting but not thereafter and manual configuration seems to work when the OS is running. I run ifconfig after using manual configuration and eth0 appears with the correct IP address etc, but I cannot connect to the Internet or network. I ran the network traffic monitor and it shows the computer trying to connect out through eth0 but nothing connects. I tried disabling the knoppix firewall with no luck. The md5sum on the iso I downloaded is fine and the disc burned correctly. The wired cards on both computers are eth0. Any thoughts? :(
5.0.1 (2006-06-01) DVD AND CD and networking.
I also have this problem with both the DVD (purchased), the CD(purchased) and a CD downloaded from ftp.kernel.org.
The computer gets its private IP address from my router, and I can ping the router. When I ping an external web site, the DNS resolves to the correct IP address, but the ping response is never received. I have also tried to enable the firewall and then disable the firewall. My 4.0.2 CD operates properly on this computer with its Intel 865 PERL motherboard's ethernet interface.
5.0.1 (2006-06-01) DVD AND CD and networking.
Networking Hardware:
Eth0: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 1) (on Main Board = Intel 865 PERL)
Router: SMC7004ABR
Cable Modem: Webstar
Charter.Net provides a dynamic IP configuration to the Router which in tern provides a NAT configuration to Eth0.
Networking works under Knoppix 4.0.2.
Networking works under Knoppix 3.3 through 3.9.
The sound module for the Intel AC97 chip fails to load.
For Knoppix 5.0.1:
The sound module for the Intel AC97 chip loads successfully.
There is no /proc/pci file in 5.0.1 and it exists in 4.0.2.
The startup config for eth0 permits DNS resolution of external website. Pings, both by URL and IP address, fail.
netcardconfig with dhcp for eth0 fails. In 4.0.2, it succeeds.
netcardconfig with manual configuration allows pinging of router at 192.168.2.1. External ping fails without dns resolution, even when external DNS server IP address is added to the router DNS IP address.
Unable to open Router webadmin page at 192.168.2.1, even though able to ping router.
-----------------------------------------------
Different Computer behind same SMC7004ABR router and cable modem:
Network Card: RTL8139C+
Networking works WITH DHCP under Knoppix 4.0.2.
The sound module for the VIA AC97 chip loads successfully.
For Knoppix 5.0.1:
The sound module for the VIA AC97 chip loads successfully.
There is no /proc/pci file in 5.0.1 and it exists in 4.0.2.
The startup config for eth0 fails.
netcardconfig with dhcp for eth0 fails.
netcardconfig WITH MANUAL CONFIGURATION SUCCEEDS.
-----------------------------------------------
CONCLUSIONS For Knoppix 5.0.1:
1. There is a problem with DHCP.
2. There is a problem with hardware detection: e.g. no /proc/pci
3. Intel network chips are not being properly detected or configured.
5.0.1 (2006-06-01) DVD AND CD and networking.
I started to try out the 5.0.1 on a AMD 1 Ghz, 512 MByte with a 3COM NIC. I got a similar
picture of the network trouble as discribed by sean,1986:
a) dhcp configuration worked fine (!) with my DSL router - DHCP server combination provided
by my telecommunication supplier
ifconfig showed up the expected network address, broadcast addr and netmask
b) a ping to the DHCP server failed: host unreachable message.
c) dns and all other services fail
d) while observing ip traffic, I saw activieties on the loop back device while pinging (lo)
e) the 5.0.1-host is also not visible within the local network
f) I tried the full installation of 5.0.1 and did a full manual network configuration.
The malfunction is still the same.
I hope that there is someone out who can put together the dangling ends - I'm sure
the hardware is correct and I saw that the setup of the network worked correctly. The big
question is: why does everything works fine with 4.0.2 (also in my case) - is there a trick
with respect to features of the kernel or something like that (pure speculation)
Best regards
5.0.1 (2006-06-01) DVD and networking.
I have posted to the 5.0 DVD buglist the following:
For Knoppix 5.0.1 both DVD and CD
1. Several different routers correctly configured several different net chips with DHCP in previous versions and are no longer doing so.
2. There is a problem with hardware detection, specifically: NO /proc/pci which exists in previous versions.
3. Intel and 3COM network chips that worked in previous versions are not being properly detected or configured .
See: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/ (Networking) 5.0.1 (2006-06-01) DVD and networking for details.
I hope these problems are fixed soon. New software and features are nice, but the old stuff has to work or nothing is gained.