Backwards Compatibility BUG
Forum Members,
WiFi works out-of-the-box w/6.4.3 liveCD:
Code:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo modprobe -a ssb
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo modprobe -a b43
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo lsmod
Module Size Used by
b43 134859 0
rng_core 2338 1 b43
mac80211 144095 1 b43
cfg80211 95850 2 b43,mac80211
ssb 32414 1 b43
ipv6 196975 10
parport_pc 24132 0
ppdev 4117 0
lp 6119 0
parport 20814 3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp
snd_usb_audio 57808 0
snd_hwdep 3950 1 snd_usb_audio
tpm_tis 5261 0
snd_usbmidi_lib 12490 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_seq_midi 3200 0
tpm 7773 1 tpm_tis
snd_rawmidi 12467 2 snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_seq_midi
tpm_bios 3347 1 tpm
hp_wmi 4393 0
ac 2215 0
battery 7656 0
option 12650 0
usb_wwan 6011 1 option
usbserial 21327 2 option,usb_wwan
8139too 14396 0
snd_atiixp_modem 6535 0
sdhci_pci 4801 0
8250_pci 19272 0
8139cp 12900 0
tifm_7xx1 3030 0
sdhci 11970 1 sdhci_pci
pcmcia 24250 2 b43,ssb
tifm_core 3258 1 tifm_7xx1
mmc_core 43452 3 b43,ssb,sdhci
mii 2694 2 8139too,8139cp
8250 14974 1 8250_pci
snd_atiixp 8993 1
ohci1394 20984 0
yenta_socket 15616 0
ieee1394 51946 1 ohci1394
serial_core 12542 1 8250
i2c_piix4 6580 0
snd_ac97_codec 77637 2 snd_atiixp_modem,snd_atiixp
k8temp 2407 0
joydev 6866 0
ac97_bus 714 1 snd_ac97_codec
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo lsmod
Module Size Used by
ipv6 196975 10
parport_pc 24132 0
ppdev 4117 0
lp 6119 0
parport 20814 3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp
snd_usb_audio 57808 0
snd_hwdep 3950 1 snd_usb_audio
tpm_tis 5261 0
snd_usbmidi_lib 12490 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_seq_midi 3200 0
tpm 7773 1 tpm_tis
snd_rawmidi 12467 2 snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_seq_midi
tpm_bios 3347 1 tpm
hp_wmi 4393 0
ac 2215 0
battery 7656 0
option 12650 0
usb_wwan 6011 1 option
usbserial 21327 2 option,usb_wwan
8139too 14396 0
snd_atiixp_modem 6535 0
sdhci_pci 4801 0
8250_pci 19272 0
8139cp 12900 0
tifm_7xx1 3030 0
sdhci 11970 1 sdhci_pci
pcmcia 24250 0
tifm_core 3258 1 tifm_7xx1
mmc_core 43452 1 sdhci
mii 2694 2 8139too,8139cp
8250 14974 1 8250_pci
snd_atiixp 8993 1
ohci1394 20984 0
yenta_socket 15616 0
ieee1394 51946 1 ohci1394
serial_core 12542 1 8250
i2c_piix4 6580 0
snd_ac97_codec 77637 2 snd_atiixp_modem,snd_atiixp
k8temp 2407 0
joydev 6866 0
ac97_bus 714 1 snd_ac97_codec
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
Code:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=off
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
Wifi is Dead-on-arrival w/6.7.1 liveCD:
Code:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo modprobe -a ssb
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo modprobe -a b43
WARNING: Module b43 not found.
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
Can someone show in the Debian-Knoppix 6.7.1 open source code
where things related to this bug changed from 6.4.3?
Reply requested, please . . .
Kernel Version of Knoppix 6.4.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by
klaus2008
What are the kernel versions of Knoppix 6.4.3 and 6.7.1? The command
will show you the details.
Code:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo uname -a
Linux Microknoppix 2.6.36.1 #10 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 26 10:33:59 CET 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
* sent w/Knoppix 6.4.3 & Iceweasel
Kernel Version of Knoppix 6.7.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by
klaus2008
What are the kernel versions of Knoppix 6.4.3 and 6.7.1? The command
will show you the details.
Code:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo uname -a
Linux Microknoppix 3.0.4 #12 SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 8 05:27:05 CEST 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
** sent w/Knoppix 6.7.1 LiveCD
Yours,
luther
B43 kernel module was not even built
Quote:
Originally Posted by
klaus2008
If you read the kernel configuration file /boot/config-3.0.4 of Knoppix 6.7.1 you will find the line That means the needed kernel module was not built. I think that you must build your own Linux kernel with enabled support for your chipset if you want to use your BCM4318 with Knoppix 6.7.1.
Dear klaus2008: I'm reading between the lines and suspect it was done on purpose. Could it possibly have opened the door to Pandora's Box? This being the case, suspect knoppix 7.0 is in the same boat. I would like a confirmation, please? THX luther
:?:
Activate Wifi, Broadcom B43 way
Knoppix forum,
I can only find these OLD Hotlinks to activate Wifi:
http://smtp.knoppix.net/wiki/Network...ppix_5.1.1_FAQ
http://smtp.knoppix.net/wiki/Network...ppix_5.3.1_FAQ
Is there anything NEW, or are the OLD DOCS still valid?
Reply requested, please . . .
External WiFi compatible w/6.7.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by
utu
An external wifi, compatible with your computer would be a possible interim solution.
I use that approach to get some of the other distributions going.
Dear utu:
I need more details of your external wifi setup? I'm picturing something like the
digital camera connected via USB cable to the micro's I/O. Knoppix 6.7.1 DVD
would be the only reason to approach your suggestion. Therefore, finding an
external wifi that matches 6.7.1 package would be my concern. Any suggestions?
I/O on the hp dv8000 notebook is USB 2.0
luther
WiFi Work-Around for those w/B43 Requirement
Quote:
Originally Posted by
utu
@ luther
I expect Klaus2008 may be able to show you how, but
building and installing b43 from scratch is probably a more difficult exercise than you want to undertake.
If or when Klaus K tackles this problem, I would expect to see the result around mid-year in an update on Knoppix 7.0.
I would not necessarily expect to see an amended 6.7.1.
An external wifi, compatible with your computer would be a possible interim solution.
I use that approach to get some of the other distributions going.
Knoppx Forum Members,
I agree with utu, that an interim solution be possible. This is NOT something I have
tried, but would this be a valid candidate:
http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Wireles...3593945&sr=8-4
Reply requested, please . . .
:confused:
Status summary on Broadcom wl vs b43 snag
.
Here's an interesting comparison, looking at Knopppix 6.4.4 relative to
luther's Posts #16 and #20 for Knoppix 6.4.3:
Code:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
adm8211.ko atmel_cs.ko iwmc3200wifi p54 wl.ko
airo.ko atmel_pci.ko libertas prism54 wl1251
airo_cs.ko b43legacy libertas_tf ray_cs.ko wl12xx
at76c50x-usb.ko hostap mac80211_hwsim.ko rndis_wlan.ko wl3501_cs.ko
ath ipw2x00 mwl8k.ko rt2x00 zd1201.ko
atmel.ko iwlwifi orinoco rtl818x zd1211rw
I think this means 6.4.4 has a kernel with wl built-in, lacking b43;
whereas 6.4.3 has a kernel with b43 built-in, lacking wl.
Hint:
wl.ko shows up in 6.4.4 which I use, and b43.ko shows up in luther's 6.4.3
So, I think this means we have to consider not only offering (at least)
two drivers, but two kernels-to-match as well, for Broadcom users.
Interestingly so, this actually occurred with Knoppix 6.4.3 and 6.4.4
taken together as one distribution. One size does not fit all here.