Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Backwards Compatibility BUG

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ luther

    I think you can stop digging now. See my Post #10.
    And, well done.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    Hope at last

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I think you can stop digging now.
    Hey utu!

    What's interesting to me, I didn't know Knoppix existed the beginning of 2012.
    Then I stumbled across 6.4.3, nicely barried out in cyberspace, somewhere.

    Adriane, on this version runs beautiful on a 200MHz, 80MB RAM antique micro.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ luther

    I expect Klaus2008 may be able to show you how, but
    building and installing b43 from scratch is probably a more difficult exercise than you want to undertake.

    If or when Klaus K tackles this problem, I would expect to see the result around mid-year in an update on Knoppix 7.0.
    I would not necessarily expect to see an amended 6.7.1.

    An external wifi, compatible with your computer would be a possible interim solution.
    I use that approach to get some of the other distributions going.
    Last edited by utu; 04-19-2012 at 02:56 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    External WiFi compatible w/6.7.1

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    An external wifi, compatible with your computer would be a possible interim solution.
    I use that approach to get some of the other distributions going.
    Dear utu:

    I need more details of your external wifi setup? I'm picturing something like the
    digital camera connected via USB cable to the micro's I/O. Knoppix 6.7.1 DVD
    would be the only reason to approach your suggestion. Therefore, finding an
    external wifi that matches 6.7.1 package would be my concern. Any suggestions?
    I/O on the hp dv8000 notebook is USB 2.0
    luther

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    I need more details of your external wifi setup
    I use a Netgear wg111v2 to work with Ubuntu & clones. See, for example:
    http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2557

    I bought mine from Surplus a few years back for $10 or $15.
    This gets around my Broadcom nightmare with Ubuntu clones.
    It might help for Knoppix. I can't say, since I never needed it for that.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    WiFi Work-Around for those w/B43 Requirement

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    @ luther

    I expect Klaus2008 may be able to show you how, but
    building and installing b43 from scratch is probably a more difficult exercise than you want to undertake.

    If or when Klaus K tackles this problem, I would expect to see the result around mid-year in an update on Knoppix 7.0.
    I would not necessarily expect to see an amended 6.7.1.

    An external wifi, compatible with your computer would be a possible interim solution.
    I use that approach to get some of the other distributions going.
    Knoppx Forum Members,

    I agree with utu, that an interim solution be possible. This is NOT something I have
    tried, but would this be a valid candidate:

    http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Wireles...3593945&sr=8-4

    Reply requested, please . . .

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ luther, in re your Post #21 about an 'N' dongle:

    This is a neat-looking little gadget at the right price, but it may not serve for two reasons:
    1. Many routers work with a & g but not N; N is fairly new.
    edit: I see it is n/g/b, so that's probably not a problem; g is ok.
    2. There's always a chance it needs a driver no linuxer has come up with.
    Does this sound familiar?

    Your best interim solution so far is Knoppix 6.4.3, and that's not bad.
    Last edited by utu; 04-20-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram picture

Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram

$960.00



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



LOT OF 5 Samsung M378A1G43DB0-CPB 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx1 PC4-2133P Desktop Memory picture

LOT OF 5 Samsung M378A1G43DB0-CPB 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx1 PC4-2133P Desktop Memory

$130.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$189.99