Dear Forum member,
How can I install a .iso DVD in an existing Knoppix installation? Booting of the .iso DVD is not possible.
Thank you for your answer.
hansieb
Printable View
Dear Forum member,
How can I install a .iso DVD in an existing Knoppix installation? Booting of the .iso DVD is not possible.
Thank you for your answer.
hansieb
Hi,
if you only want to read the content of a .iso file you can mount the file as a loop back device. Do not forget to use the filesystem type 'iso9660' and the option 'readonly'.
If you really want to boot an operating system inside a running Knoppix you can use qemu.
Klaus,
qemu : Boot failed: Could not read from CDROM (code 0003)
.iso visible in File Manager PCManFM
First boot device : cd-rom
Dear Member, Run qemu /home/knoppix KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-09-01-EN.iso Doesn't work. Thank you. hansieb
Please tell us more!
Have you a "HD install" and do you want an "ISO install to HD" as they are described at this Wiki website?
Which Knoppix version uses your HD install?
What is the size of RAM of your computer? Why doesn't you can use a DVD drive?
Have look at this Wiki website about using of Qemu.
Werner,
Thank you for your response.
I loaded ARIANE Knoppix V 7.2.0 with a Lili USB Creater on the HD. With this intallation I want to install the Knoppix 7.4.0. DVD on the same HD. (Indirect, because a direct installation of the DVD doesn't work.)
The pc doesn't boot from the DVD but the DVD is visible in /media/sr0
AMD, 1.6GHz, 3GB RAM.
I also tried to install the .iso image from "Linux for Dummies". But this also cann't be installed. The same problem.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
hansieb.
If you try to boot wirh Knoppix 7.4.0. DVD did anything happens or get you an error message?
Did you test the integrity of the download by md5sum?
Nos DOS error messages.
RUN qemu
.....
Booting from DVD/CD..
Boot failed: Could not read from CD ROM (code 0003)
Intergrety is oké, because the same happens with both DVDs.
...
Please answer as exactly as possible my last questions.
Can the DVD drive read any other CD/DVD (not Knoppix)?
Werner,
1 The DVD drive can read a DVD because I can "see" the Knoppix DVD in the File Manager "PCManFM". In /media/sr0 I can "see" KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso
2 It can not boot up from the DVD drive. Nor the ISO DVD from Knoppix, nor the ISO from the book "Linux for Dummies". This is the problem. The DVDs are visible in the File Manager, so it can read a CD/DVD. It can not boot from the same DVD.
3 I put a windows DVD in the DVD driver. I can "see" it in the File Manager.
Thank you,
hansieb
What error message? Or happens naothing?Quote:
It can not boot up from the DVD drive.
Where did you download it from? and again:Quote:
Nor the ISO DVD from Knoppix ..
Did you test the integrity of the download by md5sum?
How did you burn the DVD? Any error message by this action?
1 If I boot while starting up : no error message.Quote:
What error message? Or happens nothing?
2 If I try to boot with qemu : error message : Boot failed: Could not read from CD ROM (code 0003)
I downloaded KNOPPIX from knopper.netQuote:
Where did you download it from?
and again:
~$ md5sum -c /media/sr0 KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.isoQuote:
First response: md5sum: /media/sr0: read error
After a while : md5sum: KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso: no properly formatted MD5 checksum lines found.
I burned it with Free Easy Burner. No error messages. If you know a good (free) burner let me know.Quote:
How did you burn the DVD? Any error message by this action?
Thank you,
hansieb
Oh, no!Quote:
~$ md5sum -c /media/sr0 KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso
Change to the download directory, where your KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso download is and the download of the KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso.md5 file. After this useCode:md5sum -c KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso.md5
Remarks: 1 I could not copy the DVD-download (Error message) so: 2 This time I downloaded the .iso and .iso.md5 via Iceweasel (The knoppix browser)Code:md5sum -c KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso.md5
KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso: FAILED
md5sum: WARNING: 1 computed checksum did NOT match
Perhaps you'll wait for the V7.4.1 and after this try a new download using the Torrents.
Werner, I want still to work a bit on it to learn linux better. run:
The response:Code:mv KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso KNOPPIX.iso
mv KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso.md5 KNOPPIX.iso.md5
dir KNOPPIX.iso KNOPPIX.iso.md5
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ md5sum -c KNOPPIX.iso.md5
It responses with the previous file names. Doesn't it recognise the new file names?Code:md5sum: KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso: No such file or directory
KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso: FAILED open or read
md5sum: WARNING: 1 listed file could not be read
hansieb
I concur completely with the advice to use the torrent to download a Knoppix release. The torrents are faster, more reliable, and error correcting.
If you like to download slower and risk download problems, that's your choice. But if you can't be bothered to spend a very few minutes to set up a torrent client because it is something new and different then I wounder how you got interested in Linux and Knoppix in the first place. If you can say "downloading from the mirrors is good enough for me and works fine, I don't care" then I don't care either. But if you are questioning the quality of your download and/or can't for any reason do the md5 checksum test, then you're really doing everyone a disservice by asking for help if you will not help yourself.
No, you cannot rename the files and after it do the md5sum test. Look within the .iso.md5-file and you'll see the name of the file whom the value of the md5sum-test belongs.Quote:
Doesn't it recognise the new file names?
And please format your postings:
Use double "new line" for new section.
You can use the "Go Advanced" button to have more abilities to format the posting; before sending your posting use "Preview" to see how it looks like.
If "noscript" (within Iceweasel/Firefox) is active for http://knoppix.net/forum/ disable it for this website; otherwise you cannot use the format abilities. Do not use Chrome/Chromium!
Below the editor area is the "Additional Options" area. With "Attachments => Manage Attachments" you can upload images and after this insert them in your posting.
Hello Harry,
Thank you for your response.
I have already looked around a bit, but I can't find out how to set up a (free) BitTorrent client for Linux or Knoppix. Maybe you know how to proceed?
Thank you.
hansieb
I've always used a torrent client in Windows. But I'm sure that I've seen that there is already a torrent client installed in Knoppix. It isn't an option for me since I don't have a hard drive on my Knoppix laptop, so I would have no place to store the downloaded files. So I'll leave someone else to respond with detals if you want to do this through Knoppix. Just wanted to give a quick acknowledgement of your post so that anyone else watching this discussion knew they were welcome to jump in.
I have downloaded the file a second time and renamed it. Also adapted the md5.
$ md5sum -c K2.iso.md5
After the check:
K2.iso: OK
Where can I find the format abilities in Knoppix? (Now I am using windows.) How can I find "noscript"?
I can't go from Windows to Knoppix. So I need a Knoppix BitTorrent client.
I understand. But as I said, it is in there. According to the package list for 7.2 (I checked that since there was no point in checking 7.4 if you're trying to get 7.4) it includes ktorrent. As I said, I have not used it, but I've run lot of torrent clients and have never had any major trouble from any of them. So if you have a place to store the downloaded files and are comfortable with file paths and permissions in Linux then I expect it should work for you.
How should I configure qemu?
$ qemu K2.iso /home/knoppix
qemu: drive with bus=0, unit=0 (index=0) exists
The default Torrent client within Knoppix is Transmission.Quote:
But I'm sure that I've seen that there is already a torrent client installed in Knoppix.
Did you ever read the links I told you?Quote:
How should I configure qemu?
The problem was solved bu using a USB stick.
hansieb