Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Installing .iso Knoppix DVD in Knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Perhaps you'll wait for the V7.4.1 and after this try a new download using the Torrents.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    17
    Werner, I want still to work a bit on it to learn linux better. run:

    Code:
    mv KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso KNOPPIX.iso   
    mv KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso.md5 KNOPPIX.iso.md5 
       dir  KNOPPIX.iso KNOPPIX.iso.md5 
         knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ md5sum -c KNOPPIX.iso.md5
    The response:

    Code:
    md5sum: KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso: No such file or directory
    KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso: FAILED open or read
    md5sum: WARNING: 1 listed file could not be read
    It responses with the previous file names. Doesn't it recognise the new file names?
    hansieb
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 08-28-2014 at 09:38 PM.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Perhaps you'll wait for the V7.4.1 and after this try a new download using the Torrents.
    I concur completely with the advice to use the torrent to download a Knoppix release. The torrents are faster, more reliable, and error correcting.

    If you like to download slower and risk download problems, that's your choice. But if you can't be bothered to spend a very few minutes to set up a torrent client because it is something new and different then I wounder how you got interested in Linux and Knoppix in the first place. If you can say "downloading from the mirrors is good enough for me and works fine, I don't care" then I don't care either. But if you are questioning the quality of your download and/or can't for any reason do the md5 checksum test, then you're really doing everyone a disservice by asking for help if you will not help yourself.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    17
    Hello Harry,

    Thank you for your response.

    I have already looked around a bit, but I can't find out how to set up a (free) BitTorrent client for Linux or Knoppix. Maybe you know how to proceed?


    Thank you.



    hansieb

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I've always used a torrent client in Windows. But I'm sure that I've seen that there is already a torrent client installed in Knoppix. It isn't an option for me since I don't have a hard drive on my Knoppix laptop, so I would have no place to store the downloaded files. So I'll leave someone else to respond with detals if you want to do this through Knoppix. Just wanted to give a quick acknowledgement of your post so that anyone else watching this discussion knew they were welcome to jump in.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    17
    I can't go from Windows to Knoppix. So I need a Knoppix BitTorrent client.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by hansieb View Post
    I can't go from Windows to Knoppix. So I need a Knoppix BitTorrent client.
    I understand. But as I said, it is in there. According to the package list for 7.2 (I checked that since there was no point in checking 7.4 if you're trying to get 7.4) it includes ktorrent. As I said, I have not used it, but I've run lot of torrent clients and have never had any major trouble from any of them. So if you have a place to store the downloaded files and are comfortable with file paths and permissions in Linux then I expect it should work for you.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99