what's the preferred Wireless NIC for Knoppix - SMC a no-no
I've just learned (to my great dismay) that my SMC Ultra NIC won't
work well with Knoppix (or perhaps at all). In order to save myself needless further grief :oops: I've decided to buy a new NIC - preferably
a wireless PCI.
Can anyone tell me if there is a first-choice card that is guaranteed to
work well with Knoppix? (Do we have a supported hardware list somewhere??).
thanks,
Stefan
Re: what's the preferred Wireless NIC for Knoppix - SMC a no
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan_isaacs
(Do we have a supported hardware list somewhere??).
thanks,
Stefan
A good place to start is the The Linux Documentation Project and as always Google Linux .
supported network cards..
I'm afraid something like the Linux Documentation Project or googling Linux is less than useful. I have a very common card (SMC Ultra ISA), supported by nearly every flavour of Linux as far as I can tell, that is not supported by Knoppix.
The Linux Doc Project just lets me know which cards are supported under _a_ variant of Linux - not which variant.
What I'm looking for is a specific listing of what cards/configurations Knoppix supports. Surely that wouldn't be too difficult to have a list for somewere?
Other people seem to think there is a use for this...
thanks, S.
Re: supported network cards..
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan_isaacs
What I'm looking for is a specific listing of what cards/configurations Knoppix supports. Surely that wouldn't be too difficult to have a list for somewere?
There is one here more of a work in progress really but you have to start somewhere.
Re: supported network cards..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
There is one
here more of a work in progress really but you have to start somewhere.
Wow this list has really come along. When it first started I wondered if it would get enough entries to be useful, but it clearly has. I feel guilty for not contributing! I will now.
BTW, I also second other's choice of the Orioco Gold card. This has to be the best supported wireless card availble for linux. It has always worked perfectly. I have had problems with both Netgear and Dlink pci cards. I just got a Linksys wireless usb adapter (WUSB12) and after following the tips here it works fine (except for encryption which I haven't gotten working yet).
Cisco Aironet accessing WEP enabled Wifi networks
I'm somewhat new to Knoppix 802.11b networking, however I do have extensive Windows wireless experience. I purchased the Cisco Aironet 350 on Ebay for $60 brand new still in a sealed box. After receiving the wireless card I was still unable to detect my wireless router. Turns out I had to downgrade the firmware on the actual card. Lucky for me, Cisco makes this task very easy. Assuming your laptop has Windows on it, you'll have to download the Radio Firmware ver 4.25.30 and upload the older firmware to your card via the Cisco ACU utility that comes with your card. It's super easy and shortly after a reboot to Knoppix my wireless card was functioning. I still have problems getting on WEP enabled networks. Knoppix doesn't have the bubble that displays all available networks like Windows XP does. So far, the only network I've been able to get on is someone's in my neighborhood since my home wifi router is 128bit WEP enabled. Is there a utility in Knoppix that will display broadcasted SSIDs? Also, even though I can access non-secured wifi networks, I still cannot get airsnort to work. Can anyone fill me in on how to configure Airsnort with the Cisco Aironet 350? Anyinput or questions for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.