I have created a version of knoppix 3.2 that can boot from a laptop's firewire or usb-based cdrom. I don't want to host the iso image myself, but if someone wants to make space for it on their server, I will make it available for download.
Printable View
I have created a version of knoppix 3.2 that can boot from a laptop's firewire or usb-based cdrom. I don't want to host the iso image myself, but if someone wants to make space for it on their server, I will make it available for download.
Sorry, but how many files you have change respect the original Knoppix v. 3.2?
If they are little you can download just this.
I changed linuxrc in the boot image, added a variety of new modules to the boot image, updated the kernel to new firewire and hotplug drivers and modified the autoconfig file. Too much to post.
I would suggest submitting the changes to Klaus. That way they can be incorporated into Knoppix itself. That would also take care of your hosting problem. In any event, I think submitting the changes to Klaus would be helpful. Hopefully he will incorporate them into Knoppix.
The best way to do this would be to post it on the developers mailing list.
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/mailman/...debian-knoppix
OK, I sent my notes on the firewire/usb mods to the developers' list.
Dear lstein,
I am looking for the same thing, a way to have a boot possibility from an external usb (or firewire) hard disk.
In my case it is necessary to modify the boot disk because my laptop computer doent support usb booting.
If it is possible to you send me instructions for hao can do that, or keep me informed when your iso is avaiable somewhere and I can download it
Best Regards
Mike Kranidis
I have also placed my notes and associated files on Knoppix 3.2 here: http://modperl.com/x200/knoppix/. Possibly a later version of Knoppix will be firewire/usb bootable from the start.
Hmm. That address doesn't seem to be working. Is it just down temporairly?Quote:
Originally Posted by lstein
Sorry, try http://www.modperl.com/x200/knoppix/.
Dear lstein,
Thanks for your fine work. I will try it very shortly ;-)
Best Regards
Mike Kranidis
Lincoln's code works great. The only gotcha is if a laptop needs ACPI suport in order to recognize the firewire bus like a lot of the Sony Vaio's. I created a version using Lincoln's code but compiled a new 2.4.22-xfs kernel with ACPI support built in. I can now boot Knoppix from my Sony Vaio PCG-R505GCP.
Thanks for all the help Lincoln!! :D
Could someone anyhow post an iso
bootable from firewire?
I have a PCG-SRX87. It came with the firewire dvdrom and i bought a usb floppy. anyway you can give me instructions via email with what you did and how you got it to work? :( i'm desperate.Quote:
Originally Posted by r00ster
got a copy of the boot.img modified for Sony VAIOs?
Firewire:
(load firewire kernel modules)
The trick is to use the script rescan-scsi-bus.sh on http://www.linux1394.org/sbp2.html if gscanbus and cdrecord -scanbus don't work for you.
rescan-scsi-bus.sh
knoppix doesn't get that far on Vaios without the modifications.
Check out my post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5916 for the instructions on how I did this. I will be posting my updated HELIX iso very soon. HELIX is my own flavor of Knoppix for Forensics. It will be used for the SANS Forensics Track 8 course.Quote:
Originally Posted by akoblentz
I have post the newest version of HELIX to my website. It is available to anyone who is interested in forensics and incident response. HELIX will be used for forensics training at SANS for Track 8. HELIX has acpi/firewire/usb built into the kernel so it will work on most laptops that require acpi like the Sony R505. You can get the iso from http://www.e-fense.com/tools
hello istein,
could you please let me know if the iso image of your knoppix remasterised to boot from a firewire cdrom is available on any website ?
thanks in advance.
I can Host the Iso lstein if you want me to ? I am new to this so i don't really know when 3.4 will be out . But i will do it if you want.
Lstein, will you modified boot file support usb2 controllers hooked to PCMCIA?
:cry:
HELIX is using intellectual property not owned by the remaster or credited.
If used for forensic work any evidence obtained could be challenged and possibly ruled inadmissible by a court.
.