Can not get to a graphical UI after boot
I wanted to join the Linux bandwagon and figured I should start out with something that has the least configureation as possible. I found Knoppix. A Compaq Presario and 700mb ISO later, I was on my way to installing my first Linux OS. I followed this really detailed guide (http://articles.linmagau.org/modules...tid=181&page=1)
and got up to step 7, where I installed everything, and can login in to root. Its great and all, but I really would like to see a Graphical UI. Saddly, this isn't the case, because nothing I type in gets me anywhere, and according to the walk through mentioned above, Knoppix starts a GUI automatically. I can't figure for the life of me how to get in.
Any help would be apprecieated, thanks.
1024x768 on a DELL inspiron 1100
Finally I worked it out with your help !
I couldn't understand why a basic Inspiron 1100 DELL laptop couldn't use Knoppix.
I'm not a linux master, but I add my install and setting process :
Knoppix boots but in 640x480. The screen doesn't extrapolate pixels so the screen shrink
Like many others, I turned to 1024x768 in config and reboot, just to test ! :roll:
No more KDM (GUI) at startup :shock:
"kdm" (to launch GUI) tries to launch and get back to terminal
"startx" the same
I've tried :
"X -configure" (beware X --configure does something else)
it creates a xf86config.new in the root folder and tells you that you can test the server with :
XFree86 -xconfig /root/XF86Config.new
I tested and get a full screen X screen (just the gray matrix startup screen with the X mouse icon). I was surprised it was a full screen.
Now, to finish :
with "mc" (midnight commander : very very usefull) I deleted XF86Config-4, XF86Config-4.in, XF86Config, XF86Config-4.backup, XF86Config-4.new in /etc/X11 (I tried to keep some but it didn't worked), copied XF86Config.new from /root to /etc/X11 and renamed it to XF86Config-4 and launched "kdm"
And it works !! Full screen !! 1024x768.
But in 256 colors for the moment (but I don't care, I need space and speed not fancy colors)
Yahoooooooo (2)
Further tests appreciated from others now !!! (more colors ?)
Re: 1024x768 on a DELL inspiron 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanoman
I've tried :
"X -configure" (beware X --configure does something else)
it creates a xf86config.new in the root folder and tells you that you can test the server with :
XFree86 -xconfig /root/XF86Config.new
I tested and get a full screen X screen (just the gray matrix startup screen with the X mouse icon). I was surprised it was a full screen.
It figures another exception to the rule and that is what it is supposed to do that tells you X is working and you have a good base file to start from.
Quote:
And it works !! Full screen !! 1024x768.
But in 256 colors for the moment (but I don't care, I need space and speed not fancy colors)
Yahoooooooo (2)
Further tests appreciated from others now !!! (more colors ?)
The colours you get are dependant on the DefaultDepth setting in the XF86Config-4 file that you have the resolutions set in that section and the amount of ram for video that is available for use an example of the section.
Code:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
# SubSection "Display"
# Depth 1
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Depth 4
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Depth 8
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Depth 15
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Depth 16
# EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
As you can see in this section from my file I only care to have a DefaultDepth 24 bit true colour at resolutions in the Modes line in SubSection for the Depth 24. All you really would have to do in my example if you wanted 16 bit colour is change the Depth to 16 and DefaultDepth to the same and restart the X server to get that at all resolution I have set you need to do similar with your section. To restart the X server at the command line as root /etc/init.d/kdm restart from the KDE greeter screen (login) choose Restart X server from the Menu option or ATL and X keys at the same time IIRC.