-
Junior Member
registered user
KDE3 on 6.2
Is there a way to get KDE3 on Knoppix 6.2? I'm reading the Knoppix Hacks book, and it keeps referring to things like drive icons on the desktop and all the easy configurations that are gone with KDE4. And though pretty, KDE4 just isn't as flexible as KDE3, so I'd like it back 
TIA!
Patti
-

Originally Posted by
PattiMichell
Is there a way to get KDE3 on Knoppix 6.2? I'm reading the Knoppix Hacks book, and it keeps referring to things like drive icons on the desktop and all the easy configurations that are gone with KDE4. And though pretty, KDE4 just isn't as flexible as KDE3, so I'd like it back
TIA!
Patti
Hello! I'm afraid that book's a bit dated, though of course still nice to have, and very useful with the older Knoppix release. Drive icons are now within the File Manager, pcmanfm (big folder icon on the toolbar.) What configurations were easy before and hard now? Maybe we can point you to something that seems less than obvious.
I agree with you, KDE-4 seems like a step in a strange direction, but LXDE is sweeter and faster, IMHO. FWIW, when I opened the Synaptic package manager and did a Search from the toolbar icon for KDE, I saw some KDE-3 stuff (that wasn't installed.) It depends on which repositories you have enabled, of course, but if you don't see it there then a bit of Googling, plus knoppix desktop=kde should do the trick.
Keep up the good work and let us know how it goes.
Cheers!
Krishna 
p.s. You can also download packages manually, and if you want to use a GUI tool to install them, just start gdebi from the LXterm window (also on the toolbar, near the file manager.) There are also the command line tools apt-get and good ol' dpkg, plus aptitude. I recommend the Wikipedia article if you'd like to know more than I do about that!
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
krishna.murphy
Hello! I'm afraid that book's a bit dated, though of course still nice to have, and very useful with the older Knoppix release. Drive icons are now within the File Manager, pcmanfm (big folder icon on the toolbar.) What configurations were easy before and hard now? Maybe we can point you to something that seems less than obvious.
Thanks - every time I try to do something KDE4 can suddenly turn frustrating - and they seem to have an "always decentralize" sort of rule. It used to be that there were just two places to go to change configuration(s) of just about everything, and what you wanted was *somewhere* in that menu tree - now you have to search everywhere through different top-level menu trees for settings, and you keep going down blind alleys menu-wise. VERY frustrating!! Then it's off to some forum or other to ask questions and wait a day or three for an answer... 
I just cannot for the life of me imagine the logic behind an os upon which I can't just click something to change it's settings!! But that's KDE4 for you!
Then there's the new "no-walking-on-the-grass" rules, for instance - you can't put anything on your desktop - only on the new folder they call the desktop, not the desktop itself. I remember early windows (3.0) and macs were that way - you could not configure the desktop much beyond default - I remember when just getting a picture on the desktop was such a BIG deal... So KDE4 is a step backward in many ways. It seems like it's aimed at a generation of mac users, actually, though I haven't spent much time on macs. I finally just gave up trying to configure my desktop the way I wanted in KDE4 - frankly it seems they can't be made to be the same. What's up with that? It's almost as if current programmers never saw Windows 3.1, OS2, and the first macs, so they don't know the early problems and have to rediscover desktop what's desirable by trial and error. (do I sound old?)
Well, too bad KDE3 isn't available for Knoppix. As a stone-cold Knoppix noob I was able to do wonderful things in Knoppix/KDE3: I never had to go to a forum and say "where is this?" - I just right-clicked on a desktop drive icon, clicked "mount it" then fixed what was wrong - and in minutes had repaired a friend's computer. So there's real power in KDE3, which is prolly why it evolved along the lines it did. I guess you can argue that it's simply a case of already knowing KDE3 rather than KDE4 - but you can't argue against the way KDE4 has "decentralized" all the configuration settings. There's still many easily used in KDE3 that I haven't found. I've repeatedly gone through sessions of clicking around for hours trying to find what I want - not finding it - then finding later it's buried somewhere counterintuitive (except, maybe, for the coders?).
Sorry for the diatribe... just disappointed.
Patti
-

Originally Posted by
PattiMichell
Thanks - every time I try to do something KDE4 can suddenly turn frustrating - and they seem to have an "always decentralize" sort of rule. It used to be that there were just two places to go to change configuration(s) of just about everything, and what you wanted was *somewhere* in that menu tree - now you have to search everywhere through different top-level menu trees for settings, and you keep going down blind alleys menu-wise. VERY frustrating!! Then it's off to some forum or other to ask questions and wait a day or three for an answer...
I just cannot for the life of me imagine the logic behind an os upon which I can't just click something to change it's settings!! But that's KDE4 for you!
Then there's the new "no-walking-on-the-grass" rules, for instance - you can't put anything on your desktop - only on the new folder they
call the desktop, not the desktop itself. I remember early windows (3.0) and macs were that way - you could not configure the desktop much beyond default - I remember when just getting a picture on the desktop was such a BIG deal... So KDE4 is a step backward in many ways. It seems like it's aimed at a generation of mac users, actually, though I haven't spent much time on macs. I finally just gave up trying to configure my desktop the way I wanted in KDE4 - frankly it seems they can't be made to be the same. What's up with that? It's almost as if current programmers never saw Windows 3.1, OS2, and the first macs, so they don't know the early problems and have to rediscover desktop what's desirable by trial and error. (do I sound old?)
Well, too bad KDE3 isn't available for Knoppix. As a stone-cold Knoppix noob I was able to do wonderful things in Knoppix/KDE3: I never had to go to a forum and say "where is this?" - I just right-clicked on a desktop drive icon, clicked "mount it" then fixed what was wrong - and in minutes had repaired a friend's computer. So there's real power in KDE3, which is prolly why it evolved along the lines it did. I guess you can argue that it's simply a case of already knowing KDE3 rather than KDE4 - but you can't argue against the way KDE4 has "decentralized" all the configuration settings. There's still many easily used in KDE3 that I haven't found. I've repeatedly gone through sessions of clicking around for hours trying to find what I want - not finding it - then finding later it's buried somewhere counterintuitive (except, maybe, for the coders?).
Sorry for the diatribe... just disappointed.
Patti

No apology needed! I know what it's like to be frustrated by an OS.
So, I take it that the default LXDE desktop (window manager) is not appealing, and you're using KDE4 by specifying that on bootup? Or is LXDE what you're using? Once we've got that nailed down, we can try to address the specific concerns you refer to indirectly. Or, you can install KDE-3 if you like, assuming that you have Knoppix on a flash drive or hard drive; Linux is all about freedom of choice!
Cheers!
Krishna
-
Junior Member
registered user
Great! What's the trick to getting KDE3 installed on Knoppix? LXDE *is* actually very nice, but it would take a long time to get it set up like KDE3, so why not just use KDE3?
-

Originally Posted by
PattiMichell
Great! What's the trick to getting KDE3 installed on Knoppix? LXDE *is* actually very nice, but it would take a long time to get it set up like KDE3, so why not just use KDE3?
The process of using the software installation tool synaptic is outlined in my earlier post.
Cheers!
Krishna
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HPE DL385 Gen10 Plus 2x EPYC 7513 1024GB DDR4 RAM 6x 6.4TB 2x 800G SAS 100G RAID
$54229.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97