Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: udevd problems in 6.2.X? (kernel 2.6.32.6)

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    udevd problems in 6.2.X? (kernel 2.6.32.6)

    I have had a couple of instances of udevd losing control over itself lately. I'm not sure whether it is due to bugs or read/write errors, but it gets confused, uses all the CPU and memory, kills programs to free up memory and makes the system almost unusable. I have killed it, and restarted the daemon by issuing sudo udevd --daemon &. Everything seems to work just fine. But I'm curious as to what this is? I'm not able to see anything leading up to the situation in dmesg output. Anyone experiencing the same or similar?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    I have had a couple of instances of udevd losing control over itself lately. I'm not sure whether it is due to bugs or read/write errors, but it gets confused, uses all the CPU and memory, kills programs to free up memory and makes the system almost unusable. I have killed it, and restarted the daemon by issuing sudo udevd --daemon &. Everything seems to work just fine. But I'm curious as to what this is? I'm not able to see anything leading up to the situation in dmesg output. Anyone experiencing the same or similar?
    Sounds pretty bad. Any chance this could be hardware? I'm particularly suspecting memory. There were problems awhile back with "cosmic rays" (high energy gamma particles, actually) causing memory cells to change state, leading to symptoms that could be compared to these (but more random.) If there's one bad bit that will be switched under circumstances you can't nail down, it might produce this effect. Anyway, you've found the trick to get it back under control again - good work, and thanks for sharing.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    p.s. I'm sure you know already, but for the benefit of others reading this, there is a memory test available at boot-time by typing at the prompt:
    Code:
    memtest

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I never experienced this problem. If the udevd problem occurs periodically one could restart udevd as a cron job. Instead of killing and starting udevd manually, I would use the shell script /etc/init.d/udev.
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart
    In the configuration file /etc/udev/udev.conf there is a line setting the log priority. Using the value debug instead of err could help to find an answer. The program udevadm lets you watch and control the activity of the udev daemon:
    Code:
    sudo udevadm monitor
    Since udevadm is a very complex program it seems useful to read its man page.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Thank you very much!
    I can now rule out my initial guess, KNOPPIX file corruption, as I have checked the md5sums from the image I use and a freshly downloaded, loop-mounted ISO image.
    The results of memtest are somewhat confusing, as it aborts when run with 2x2GB modules, but finds no errors with either of them (ASUS UL30VT.
    I still suspect there is some udevd bug involved, as I had similar behavior on a Dell Vostro.
    Can conflicts between /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab confuse udevd? I have one, /media/sdaX is mounted as /store/local. In any case, I think restarting udevd when system is fully set up may be a good idea.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Editing /etc/fstab and restarting does not seem to work. The simplest workaround seems to be to start and stop udevd as needed.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Some of these problems are really nasty. A quick check in the internet revealed that there are quite a few of this same problem reported. Some says it's due to the CDROM, but there is probably no single cause for such misbehavior, so I guess 'udevadm' is probably the best choice for checking root cause. Upgrade the udev version might be an easier thing to try.

    Fortunately I have never have to deal with this problem. However, I do encounter some other nasty problems though. They are widely reported problems, so have nothing to do with knoppix per se.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    It's definitely not the CDROM here, the UL30VT hasn't got a optical drive at all. It seems to crop up in different ways, last time udevd went crazy it happened while downloading to an ordinarily mounted HD partition with a perfect ext3 filsystem on it. Just had to kill it before it started killing everything else. And the drive was correctly listed in /etc/fstab.

    I'm not terribly interested in getting to the roots of this, as they seem to be multiple, and the basic architecture may have some flaws - I interpret some kernel dev discussions that way.
    Basically, we only need the hotplug manager when things are plugged in and out, otherwise it can rest. Therefore, a safe and simple workaround may be to let it autostart, but stop the daemon when system is set up fine, and only start it when changes are made. And if udevd takes 1% or more of CPU in top's listing, it may be an indication of malfunctioning. Then, it may be safest to stop it (sudo /etc/init.d udev stop) and only restart it when needed.

    A program like udevadm is surely useful for debugging, and for system administration when a lot of complex hotplugging is going on. But it should not be necessary to use when no hotplugging is going on at all!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Update: Leaving udevd turned off for an extended period of time may lead to losing contact with peripherals, even if no configuration changes are made. So, even though 1-2% of CPU certainly shouldn't be necessary to monitor a system that is not changing, it may be better to have udevd running, and only stop it when it runs wild. (Which happens quite often to me...)

  9. #9
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Have you tested for hardware faults, i.e. bad memory?This is "passing strange" - maybe it's time to search bug reports for udev.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    As kl522 relates, there are lots of reports about udevd problems. Maybe hardware related, too. I wrote about the conflicting memtest results above. But hardware problems should show up elsewhere too, I think. And here, it seems that everything is working fine, except for udevd. I start wondering if there is some kind of slight incompatibility between Knoppix and udevd in the kernel version 2.6.1 uses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98