Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Comments on upgrading PCManFM

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @evenso

    Since I had so many problems initially with PCManFM,
    the LAST thing I wanted to do was turn it loose in
    my hard drive, potentially poisoning my Win7 or two
    other partitions.

    I may become braver, now that PCManFM is behaving more
    sanely, to access the rest of my laptop. I'm presuming
    you've had no bad experineces in the ntfs world,
    have you? Thanks.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northwest U.S.
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    @evenso

    I may become braver, now that PCManFM is behaving more
    sanely, to access the rest of my laptop. I'm presuming
    you've had no bad experineces in the ntfs world,
    have you? Thanks.
    Not so sure.

    I am installed to a thumb drive and I mount the HD partitions, ntfs & ext3. When I posted above, the drive was plugged into a secondary computer. The primary computer that the thumb drive resides on is not yielding such perfect results.

    Don't know why, maybe a different version of ntfs. This is Vista, the others are XP.

    I've yet to upgrade (an apparent downgrade of sorts in Knoppix) to a proper ntfs-3g package.

    The up-to-date ntfs-3g package is pretty safe and, in itself, shouldn't harm your ntfs partitions as far as I know (which isn't as far as a "real" techie).

    The single problem on this computer with PCManFM is automatic mounting of ntfs partitions, which I want.

    I am a little stalled on upgrades because I had some packages that didn't install and took a while to back out of. Not the least of which were syslinux and syslinux-common(!). Nothing was broken there, but installs failed.

    So I am nursing it one package at a time, when I get time.

    I may get a better survey of things around Tuesday.

    Will post developments.

    Meanwhile, there is always manual mounts and, if you distrust PCManFM, midnight commander, which even has skins or themes or something nowadays.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northwest U.S.
    Posts
    30
    I don't think my problem mounting ntfs partitions is with pcmanfm. When I created a persistent image, Knoppix considerately included all the ntfs partitions on my /etc/fstab . However, I still must mount them manually with
    Code:
    # mount -a
    I don't see any problem with pcmanfm, other than an aggravating upgrade maybe.

    I've been reading and writing from Linux to ntfs partions routinely with ntfs-3g without issue for two years now. However, I am not an expert, I don't use Windows 7 which I think has a minor upgrade of ntfs, and Harry Kuhman just warned against it here as regards system wide data recovery. He may know something I don't:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...l=1#post121576

    So I guess I encourage you to stay save but think about trying it.

    Post if you find a resolution to auto-mounting ntfs partitions.

    --
    Kind Regards,
    Freeman
    Last edited by evenso; 08-18-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Mellanox 655874-B21  655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678 picture

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678

$13.99



Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code picture

SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code

$108.09