Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: graphical subsystem could not be started

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4

    graphical subsystem could not be started

    I remastered my KNOPPIX 6.2.1 CD When I boot with the new CD it says "The graphical Subsystem could not be stated or terminated unexpectedly. was there something I need to do before I created the ISO image??

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by zachern View Post
    I remastered my KNOPPIX 6.2.1 CD When I boot with the new CD it says "The graphical Subsystem could not be stated or terminated unexpectedly. was there something I need to do before I created the ISO image??
    Did you verify the ISO md5sum after download, and verify the media after burn? It could be simple as re-burning at a slower speed.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4
    I am using the documentation at http://knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Reamstering_Howto In this documentation it says that for >= Knoppix 6.0 I should use SHA1 instead of MD5 I also tried lowering my burn spped to 8x and am still getting the same result.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1
    Was there ever an answer posrted for this???? I have the same exact issue.

  5. #5
    Same problem here. Did anybody find a solution to this??

    Details:
    my remastered cd boots to the prompt and then displays the following message:

    The graphical subsystem could not be started
    or terminated unexpectedly.
    Maybe your graphics adapter or monitor are not auto-configurable.

    Please try to reboot and give some of the Knoppix-Cheatcodes
    at the initial boot:-prompt, which match your graphics adapter.
    Examples:
    knoppix xmodule=radeon (or ati, nv, cirrus, ...)
    knoppix xmodule=fbdev
    knoppix xmodule=vesa
    knoppix hsync=90 vsync=75


    I can execute commands, navigate the filesystem, and ping URL's but the gui won't load and the above message keeps appearing about every minute or so.

    the only changes I made in my remaster were to uninstall openoffice and change the background.jpg image.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Take a look at this thread (also in the remastering forum) and see if that information points you in a good direction. Looks like the same type of problem, possibly. The manner in which the new master image is created is a bit tricky.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1

    Same problem

    The exact sme thing is happening to me. I have meticulously followed the directions. I get:
    Details:
    my remastered cd boots to the prompt and then displays the following message:

    The graphical subsystem could not be started
    or terminated unexpectedly.
    Maybe your graphics adapter or monitor are not auto-configurable.

    Please try to reboot and give some of the Knoppix-Cheatcodes
    at the initial boot:-prompt, which match your graphics adapter.
    Examples:
    knoppix xmodule=radeon (or ati, nv, cirrus, ...)
    knoppix xmodule=fbdev
    knoppix xmodule=vesa
    knoppix hsync=90 vsync=75

    and if i startx manually it tells me something about "suspicious ownership root:root"

    Any help..please?


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    this happened when I followed "re-master your flash installation" because I used a ntfs partition to copy my files to.
    when I used another ext2 partition to copy the files to everything worked.

    oh and do ctrl+alt+f6/f5 and you should be able to see more info?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep View Post
    this happened when I followed "re-master your flash installation" because I used a ntfs partition to copy my files to.
    when I used another ext2 partition to copy the files to everything worked.
    Good observation! Which means likely it's a file permission thingie, somewhere somehow in the remaster process certain files ownership/permission are not preserved properly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5

HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)

$69.95



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99